1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

70-200 Won't Focus / Squeaking

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kiz5, Aug 1, 2008.

1. * Not 100% sure if this is the right forum, but I can't find anywhere else that really has a repair type sub-section. Anyways... :( 

I ended up getting stuck in basically torrential downpour, with my camera along with my lens. My D300 is fine. No issues with that. The 70-200 had condensation from the downpour, but has since had it all removed over time spent with a fair bit of silica gel.

However, now that it is fixed, I've put everything back together. I can shoot on manual, which is good at least. However, when I try to switch to my AF, it just gives a squeaking sound, and doesn't focus. I'm not sure if the rain damaged the motor, but its my guess.

Anyone had something happen like this as well, and were able to get it working again? Or should I just assume I'm going to be without this lens for a few weeks while it goes off to Nikon repairs?

2. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    Adrian,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I certainly would stop trying to use it and call Nikon's repair center. Nothing of what you describe sounds good. If it's going to be salvaged I would have their repair center give you an estimate. Anything else may cause more damage.

3. My guess is that its the AF-S USM motor. If it is, which is what I assume, shooting on manual with myself focusing shouldn't cause it anymore damage. I can't lose out on the Playoffs for football, with 3 weekends remaining. I plan on renting a 300 for the Championship day, but I definitely need it for this weekend, as well as next.

If they had a fast turnaround up here, I'd have no problem with giving it to them and losing a week. Unfortunately, the last time I put my D80 in for the Dead Battery Syndrome, it took me 3 1/2 weeks to get it back.

4. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    It took about a solid week and a half for me, from the time I sent my lens in to the time I got it back. This was the 18-55 kit lens and it had to have some serious mechanical work done. There were like 5 things done/replaced on the work order.

5. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

Hrmm.. I thought the 70-200 was weather sealed? I would have to question its condition, and the care towards the glass before id suggest sending it in. You maybe SOL, and have to pay a hefty price to get it fixed.

Just a thought.

6. That's what I had thought. Unfortunately, I think downpour does a job on it. It's been taken care of, and dropped once. This was the first time where I've been out in something worse than drizzle.

Here's hoping the motor is covered under warranty, assuming that's what it is.

7. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

I used a 17-35 that had a squeaky AFS motor, that while never bothered me, it showed no signs of it lacking doing its job.

I mean the choice is ultimately yours, however, I would let it sit for a few days, in an extremly clean room, with the back cap off. If you dont have one then, i guess you maybe sol, but, i would try to recitify the situation myself before sending it in, but this is just me, and speaking soley for me.

If it DID get damaged due to the water, then i do not see why it wouldnt be covered under warranty, considering the lens is supposed to be weather sealed..

I would call them to find out, and take it from there.

Hope this helps

8. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    My friend who has a D40x with the 70-200 mm VR had this problem. He was shooting in the local zoo, when suddenly a downpour happened. He was caught unawares and his gear got soaked too. He shut down the camera and removed the Li-ion battery and returned home chastened and hoping for the worst.

For two days he kept the gear under fan and periodically gave it the hair-dryer treatment on warm setting. Then with trepidation and heart in the mouth he inserted the battery and switched on the gear and voila..!! it was working alright and doing so till date.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.