70-200mm 2.8 VR ARRIVES! with other toys, and guess who's playing with it?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by thrdprophet, Jun 13, 2007.

1. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    My 2 1/2 year old is having a blast playing with this new lens as you can see. My carbon fiber tripod also came in shown below (Velbon CF-540) :smile:

I need some advice out there, should I sell my 55-200mm VR? It is basically a brand new lens. Used but a few times... but after playing with the 70-200mm VR at the camera shop... I just decided to go ahead and get it (lens lust bug perhaps?)

Here are the advantages of the cheaper 55-200mm VR

Close focusing distance 3ft
    Can fit in your pocket
    If it is stolen, ah your pain won't last as long

Any advice is greatly appriecated thank you NikonCafe,

Aliyah2-4.

2. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Cool picture. That sure is some big glass with the pig tails sticking out behind.

3. I'd keep it - light telephoto zoom lenses are really good when you are traveling or need to pack light. I regretted selling my 70-210 AF-D as soon as I sold it after getting my F2.8, thinking I wouldn't need it anymore.

Trust me, you'll notice wanting to use or actually using the small lens more often than you think.

4. Agreed. Definitely keep it.

5. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Very cute pic. I received my 70 -200 2.8 vr yesterday and I will keep it.

6. wow

that really is a big lens !

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yup, the 70-200 VR is very big. If you've never put one on your camera, it really is a site to see that thing sticking off the end. I highly recommend renting one just to try it out...it's quite big and heavy and you will get looks if you walk around with it. :biggrin:

8. yeah, w/ this on my D200 & MB200, people give second glances, make way for you and I hear whispers "wow, how much does that setup cost?" or "he must be a pro"....ya feel good, until of course, the guy (or gal) w/ the 400f2.8 plops down next to you. :biggrin::biggrin:

9. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    I used to think my 70-200/2.8 was big and impressive... then I started shooting with a 300/2.8, and the 70-200/2.8 now balances like a body cap!

10. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

I agree. When I first saw an 80-200 AF-S, I thought it was big. The 70-200 VR is a bit longer, but it always felt thinner (even if it actually isn't). Now that I've used a 300/2.8 quite a bit, the 70/80-200 lenses are like nothing. Enjoy your new lens.

11. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    I agree, you can never beat having something small to carry with you when you don't want to lugg something big around even though the 70-200mm 2.8 is not that big compared to the 300's 2.8's and up. I hike half dome each year... and even with JUST a 35mm SLR with a kit lens... IT IS KILLER ON MY BACK... of course it also depends on your shape and the shape I'm in now... I would probably not make it taking the gear I like to take up there.

I will definitely keep it, thank you for all your input.

The lens to behold is the old school Nikon 1200-1700mm F5.6-F8 and Sigma's new 200-500mm 2.8! Anything else is just a "consumer" lens

12. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Exactly :biggrin:

13. Ditto :) mine gets here tomorrow, the 70-200 VR that is. I can't wait... UPS screwed up or I would've had it today, I was tempted to ditch work and grab it at the hub when UPS tracking told me it was at our hub.

14 hours and counting...

14. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    I had to take off and go to the house when I got delivery confirmation on mine. My first pics were of trucks on 285 while driving back to work.

Just couldn't resist.

congrats to all on the new arrivals. chinesestunna - what area of my town do you live in?