1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

?: 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED VR won't focus on longer range subjects

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by greyhoundrick, Jun 24, 2018.

1. greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick

Mar 26, 2016
    Hello everyone,

Always a pleasure to interact with you folks.

I have a 2002 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED VR lens that we purchased in 2008.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that it was having trouble focusing at subjects far away (as close as 300 feet).

It focuses great in close and short to mid range, but when I try to lock in on a subject a little further away it will not focus. It just hangs there in limbo and the shutter release button is somewhat resistant.

I have AF-C set to "release"

Ive tried it on my D850 and D3 and the same thing happens so Im sure its the lens that is the culprit. Ive tried my 24-70 on both bodies and it focuses fine at all distances.

Is there anything you would recommend before I contact Nikon for repair? Oh, BTW, I looked on the Nikon website and didn't see it listed on the drop down menu for repair. Does that mean that they don't work on them any longer? If so, does anyone work on them? :-o

Could it be a problem with the lens's contacts?

Maybe I should clean them and give it another shot.

Anyway, please let me know what you think.

Best to you and thanks for the help!

Rick

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick

Mar 26, 2016
    thank you so much Nick!! I really appreciate your help! :) 

3. That sounds like the problem I had with my old 70-180 micro. A trip to Nikon Melville +$247.70 put it right.

4. greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick

Mar 26, 2016
    Thank you Jim! Looks like all I have to do now is find someone to work on it! If no one does I might be buying another 70-200.
    Do you think the VRII for around $1400 used would be a good buy? I see the latest VR "E" version is $2800 which, after buying a D850, I dont have enough pennies left!!:( :( :( 

5. I've owned all three, the most recent E version is actually worth the $$$$$. That being said, if money is a factor I would definitely think of picking up a used VRI or VRII. KEH has VRI's from $820-$1100.

6. greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick

Mar 26, 2016
    thanks so much! Great to know!!(y)

7. greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick

Mar 26, 2016
    Well, I guess my lens was pretty messed up. Here is the list:

replace silent wave motor

replace other/misc. elect. parts

repair auto focus operation

adjust focusing mechanism

adjust VR system / unit

adjust aperture operation

clean and re-lubricate lens zoom mechanism

clean lens elements

general clean, lubricate and adjust

Looks like its going to run about $475 which will take a chunk out of my "photo funds", but I guess its better than having to replace the lens. Ive used it a ton over the last 11 years and in some fairly rough conditions (temps in the 115+ range).

Will let you know how it works/looks when I get it back!

Take care,

Rick

8. If the camera is trying to focus on something that has very little definition, the lens sometimes doesn't focus properly. Try using a single 'spot' focus on subjects that fit into this scenario. I have my camera set to always use this single 'spot' for focus.

9. It's a great lens Rick. I'm sure you'll get at least another 11 years out of it.(y)

10. greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick

Mar 26, 2016
    Thanks for the post! Yes, I tried different combinations of servo, focus points etc. and didn't get any improvement. As soon as I put it on my D3, where it had spent most of its time, and it failed there as well, I knew the lens had issues. Thanks again Robert :) 

Thanks so much! I will be extra careful with it but I also have to realize that its an awesome tool and that it can handle the elements as long as its reasonable :) 

11. greyhoundrick

greyhoundrick

Mar 26, 2016
    Thanks to everyone for all of your valuable input!

I received my lens back today and tried it on my D850. It works great!

Thank you for the recommendation of APS Nick! They are a pleasure to work with and did a terrific job with the repair, communication, cleaning and packing. I also think their price was more than fair considering what they did.

Always a pleasure to interact with you folks and take care,

Rick

• Like Like x 1
  12. Good news. Now go out and shoot and post the results here :) 

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.