70-200mm f/2.8 VR availability in Europe?????

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Giles, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Giles

Giles

Nov 12, 2005
    England
    I am considering buying this lens, and have been looking for somewhere to buy it at a reasonable price. However, the two camera shops I went into in Dublin both said they were out of stock and couldn't get more from Nikon (i.e. for the forseeable future). One even said they'd had it on back order since June/July. I then tried a couple of UK retailers - Fixation & Warehouse Express - but the same result.

So, does anyone here know what the story is regarding availability of this lens? Better still, can anyone suggest a retailer in Britain/Ireland/mainland Europe that might have it in stock for a reasonable price (<£1250 or so, inc. VAT)?

Giles

2. Giles,

Try Grays of Westminster.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Giles

Giles

Nov 12, 2005
    England
    Thanks for the suggestion, I emailed them today. I'll post back what they say.

Giles

5. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    For Whatever it is worth

I just ordered (for my wife to surprise me for my birthday) a 70-200 mm VR. I used Froogle for price comparisons but no one here in the USA seemed to have them in stock.

I finally ordered from B&H and was told it was back-orderd but would be three weeks. I put my order in and was waiting - when after 5 days they e-mailed and said the lens was in route -so it shoud be here tomarrow (Dec1).

When I talked to the B&H rep he said that Nikon does not ship the full requested amount. They never get a full order but he was unsure why Nikon did this. Maybe they cannot keep up with the demand.

My suggestion is to order from a larger dealer andhave them ship to you when theback order is filled.

Good luck - And Iam coming home from work early tomarrow!

6. RForshey

RForshey Guest

B&H is showing them in stock now on their web site..

7. Geeez, for that european price, buy a plane ticket and have a holiday in Florida for free, at the same time picking up your new lens. In fact, I'll fly one over, you order the pints and reserve the tee time.

8. Giles

Giles

Nov 12, 2005
    England
    I might just have to do that. I tried Grays of Westminster, but a similar story. They said they had 24 in 3 weeks back but only one left, which they were offering for about £1500 ($2600). I assume Nikon just can't keep up with the demand at the moment unless they are deliberately trying to keep the price high. The rebate is also annoying, in that it's only available to US purchasers - is there any particular reason why this should be the case?

Giles

9. Idor

Idor Guest

Just in case you guys wanna order that lens from BH photo.... there are coupons available...

if you call them the coupon code for the lens is
    PSDEC052
    and it cost $1529 before rebates.

if you prefer internet order the private site is

www.bhphotovideo.com/psdec

all prices listed there are before any manufacturer's rebate. This coupons are from a trade show somewhere in Oct I believe. And expiration Date for the offer is 20 Dec....:biggrin:

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Giles :

The rebates are yet another USA/"grey market" thing that baffles those of us living here in the US. Given the differences in price you're looking at, the rebate's only a fraction of that sum. Annoying, but not awful.

But as a positive, I can tell you that a local store here in New Mexico has two 70-200mm AFS/VR lenses in stock on the shelf, as I saw them when making a pick-up of some gear for a friend this morning. PM me if you want particulars, and you can further follow-up directly with them.

Alternately, take up Sandi on her offer. :wink:

John P.