70-200mm vr or 300mm f4 af-s

Trying to decide between the two.
I would have to save more to get the 70-200mm vr and would probably couple it with a TC-17E II.
I could get the 300mm f4 now and couple it with a TC-14E II.

I have a D200 and would mostly be using either for shooting my Daughters Cheer and Dancing Events. About 50/50 Indoor vs Outdoor. Lighting will be a concern Indoors.

Thanks!

Eric

Well, I recommend both! (sorry). Sounds like you've decided you really need the reach (300mm+). Even though it's more expensive, I think the 70-200VR + TC would be much more versatile than the 300/4.

I use the 70-200VR + TC-14 for most all of my hand held telephotos and the 300/4 & TC-14/TC-17 for more dedicated tasks requiring a tripod. You'll probably need a tripod with the 70-200 + TC-17, but you'll definitely need one for the 300/4 + TC-14.

BTW I only shoot outdoors.

Gary

B

bunyfofu69

70-200 2.8

It will be a classic lens...the best in my bag at least!

Well, I recommend both! (sorry). Sounds like you've decided you really need the reach (300mm+). Even though it's more expensive, I think the 70-200VR + TC would be much more versatile than the 300/4.

I use the 70-200VR + TC-14 for most all of my hand held telephotos and the 300/4 & TC-14/TC-17 for more dedicated tasks requiring a tripod. You'll probably need a tripod with the 70-200 + TC-17, but you'll definitely need one for the 300/4 + TC-14.

BTW I only shoot outdoors.

Gary
Wish I could afford both! I had'nt thought about needing a tripod more with one over the other...hmmm..Thanks

Eric,

I have the 70-200 and I couldn't be more pleased with it. The images are phenomenal. And the VR makes it a lens I can either hand hold or use with monopod-tripod.

I have the Nikon TC17e II, but I've only used it once. It's too unwieldy for my taste, hard to handle. Although, the images it produced were very good. And it is fun to be out at 340mm!

I shot at that FL (340mm) from a tripod with VR off. During the same shoot, I removed the 70-200 from the tripod and hand held some shots with good results. Then, wanting to test the stability of the lens (and me), I put it on my monopod and had the best success of all (VR on, except when I went to very high shutter speeds over about 1/1000 second). All set-ups produced very good images, but hand holding the lens with the TC attached was a chore for me. Others may do it much better.

I'm certain you'll want to use a tripod or monopod with a 300/4.

And as far as low light issues are concerned, the 70-200 does a very nice job. I even got some good shots at reasonable shutter speeds inside a well lighted gym during a basketball game. You'll never match that with the 300/4.

Good luck as you make your choices. Have FUN!

God bless.
Doug

I shoot in very similar conditions as you, and am constantly amazed by my 70-200 VR. When the light is questionable, this lens shines!

I have them both, the 70-200 vr is hall of fame material. I use my 300f/4 on a tripod, can't quite the shots handheld yet. I use a 1.7 conerter on both.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Seems that I should wait a little longer until I have the funds for the 70-200 vr.
Thanks again for the help! I now feel good about the decision instead of uncertain.
Best Wishes,
Eric

Well, I'm very happy to say I just picked up a very nice used 70-200mm VR! It is in Mint condition and I can't wait to try it out this weekend. I also bit the bullet and ordered a used TC-14E II to help when the reach is needed.
Thanks much for all your advice! I feel very good that I made a wise decision.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom