70-200VR + 500D shots for Sandi

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi asked me to take a few shots with the 70-200VR with and without the 500D diopter lens, as she is considering this combo. These are for her. I certainly don't claim that they are very good, but they should show what this set-up can do. ;-)

These shots were not cropped at all; just resized. These were shot in A priority, at f10, using the SB-800 (I forgot to change the WB to flash, so they look pretty yellow :oops: ).

Without the 500D. This was about as close as I could get and still get the 70-200VR to focus (about 5 feet):
    [​IMG]

With the 500D. This shot was taken at about 15 - 16 inches:
    [​IMG]

Frank

2. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Frank, thanks for posting this as I'm interested in the 500D myself and have been telling a nephew about it. I'll send him a link to your examples.
    Thanks!
    Jarrell

3. OK, that is out-of-control-amazing detail, Frank!!! :) :) :) :) :)

4. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Interesting DoF with the 500D on.

However, I'm a bit worried about the first pic Frank - your kitty seems to be turning green.*

Neil

* Usual rider applies -> could be my monitor.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Neil,

As usual, you ain't paying attention.... :p

I did mention that I uh, ah, sort of forgot to change the WB from early morning sunlight to flash, hence the greenish kitty.... 8)

It's not your monitor. :wink:

Frank

6. Holy cow! what a difference! OK I'm sold now, that is quite the shortage from 5' to 15". Sure wish my pooddie tat would sit still for me - Dodger will NOT sit still as long as the camera is out. Put it away and he'll sleep for hours in one spot! *LOL*
    Try to imagine what a human iris would look like with that rig!
    Thanks, Frank, so much for this - really helps me a lot. It's always so tough trying to figure out setups when you don't have the gear. You're a darling to do this for me, and I'll return the favour if and when I can. Now I can hardly wait to get this lens.... bugs away!!!! *LOL* Cheers, Sandi

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Insert appropriate "D'OH!!" here.

Neil

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi,

You are most welcome. If nothing else, you made me spend some time with a lens that I've ignored for too long.... :wink:

Good luck with your purchase.

---------------------------------

Neil,

S'OK. I wouldn't read my own rambling diatribes if they were written by someone else.... :roll:

Frank

9. Love your shots Frank. You have really got some detail in those images.

10. Mental not to Mike blame Frank for purchase of 500D cloeuep lens.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You are welcome.

:lol: :twisted: :D 8)

Frank

12. celia bule

celia bule Guest

This is indeed my lucky day. This is the second thread I see and another set of wonderful pics. Sometimes one can't handle so much beauty. ( And this is not a joke) :)

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Frank,
    Wow, these are great images. I encouraged a good friend of mine to get the 70-200VR and also the Canon 500D Closeup lens and now I'm sending here this thread so she can see with her own eyes what a great recommendation I made to her :lol: :lol:

Thanks for these pictures showing what this combination can really do.. I didn't even know it was THIS GOOD!

Gaye

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow!! Thanks for the nice comments. I was just trying to do some demo shots for Sandi, and I even screwed up the WB.... :lol:

Any credit here certainly goes to the 70-200VR, D2H, SB-800, and 500D, not me. This is far outside my normal shooting comfort zone. 8)

I will have to admit, that Pumpkin was much more cooperative than usual. Normally when I point the cam at her, she wants to come over and butt me with her head (begging for a head scratch....;-)).

Frank