70-200VR amazes me...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DanielD, Apr 14, 2007.

1. On my stroll in Potsdam near Berlin I ran into a fun fair(?)/kermis(?) and came to this ride:

143641947-O.

As long as I live this thing is called 'Break Dance', at least in Germany. The whole platform is spinning, with each quad of wagons spinning, not to forget, each wagon is spinning itself again. So the whole thing is just a fast spinning mess.

Just for fun I tried whether I could track focus on a wagon with that lense. So with the free eye I was scanning for a wagon to aim at, aim at that with the viewfinder eye, focusing and tracking that wagon, panning until it came to the front to shoot. This all very quickly and the hardest thing was to find the wagon I wanted to shoot in all that rotating mass and then find it with the zoomed viewfinder eye.

The lens was focussing fast as hell. I was really impressed. Of the shots I got, none had missed focus:

143641903-O.

143641919-O.

143641931-O.

After that ride I stand nearby chimping on my camera and didn't believe my eyes. Wow, that lens has fast AF! :smile::smile::smile:

Btw. mounted on a D200, set to S mode 1/1000s before.

I went on with a big smile in my face.

2. Well it's "The Lens".....

BTW:
    Nice spin-free captures :Crunk:

3. Well, difficult to say if it's better the shot in itself or the smiling girls... :wink:

4. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Fatastic job!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice shots. Well done.
    70-200 VR is a great lens

6. Thanks all. It's the lens I waited the longest before eventually buying it ($$$), but I didn't regret it at all. Should have done that earlier... :biggrin:

7. dweikum

dweikum

Apr 15, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Wow, definately the lens I'm lusting for...wish I could afford one.
    Thanks for posting those pics. :)

8. I love mine too! Incredible lens!!! Great Bokeh, Great Speed, Great Handling - What more can you say? I am saving up to get the TC-17E II (1.7x) Teleconverter for mine...get that extended range and the VR still works!

BTW...Great shots! :smile:

9. Also, during a recent Nikon Café Poll, this lens was voted number one of all Nikon lens beating out "The Beast" and the 17-55mm f2.8, both awesome lenses! :485:

10. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I agree it's an awesome lens. It was a big chunk of change to put down for one piece of glass, but now I'm really happy to have it.

11. Jim, I am within striking distance of getting this lens. I have not seen a photo yet from that lens on any camera that wasn't great. Once I get it, I am looking at a TC to use with it for sports with my kids. You mention the TC-17E II. to get 1.7x, why the 1.7 over the 1.4 or the 2.0?

Does anyone have any experience with the others or more then one of the TCs? I was thinking of going right to the TC-20E II for 2.0x, but wouldn't mind some input from those who have tried them.

Any thoughts?

12. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    I prefer the TC-14E II with the 70-200 mm VR. Both the TC-14E and TC-17E can produce excellent results with this lens. However, with the TC-17E you pay an extra half stop of aperture for about 20% more magnification. In practice, I find that I can use the TC-14E stopped down only one stop to f/5.6 with almost no noticible degradation. However, I feel that with the TC-17E best results are obtained at f/8 or so. I find that extra stop of usable aperture results in many more opportunities to use the TC-14E, at least for sports action that I most often use the 70-200 mm VR for.

Others prefer the additional reach and recommend the TC-17E, so YMMV.

13. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Well done! I wish I had taken these pics.

regards