70-200VR and it ain't stoppin' there

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AggieCJ, Jun 7, 2007.

1. First off, Howdy. New guy here and enjoy all the info. So I go into Ritz to look at a 50 f1.4 and the guy shows me one along with also this new box that he just got in, a nice beautiful, big and heavy 70-200VR. Minutes later we are mounting the thing on a D80 body and the 50 is back in the box.

Have no idea how it happened but let's just say I don't have a 50mm yet.

WOW what a lense. Talk about sharp. Looking forward to learnin more from ya'll.

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the Cafe, and congratulations on your purchase of an outstanding lens!!!!

3. plusfour

plusfour Guest

Excellent work. It's completely budget-blind enthusiasm and ability to get sidetracked off your plan for an incredibly shiny piece of gear that keeps capitalism running :biggrin:

Seriously, great purchase. But you will want the 50mm too (great lens). And, on top of the list you've just been recommended, how about the 10.5mm fisheye..? But careful the guy in the store doesn't whip out a 300mm f2!

Another reason to feel good - I bet you made the sales guy's week!

4. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Hello guy, I am in Houston. I went to Houstonn Camera Exchange to look at the 17-55 2.8; the sale person did the same to me. He put the 70-200 2.8 vr on a d200 body and I was in Love. I didn't get the 70-200 2.8 vr( I am a teacher I have to save for that one) howeer I did buy the 17-55 2.8. Happy shooting....:smile:

QUOTE=AggieCJ;1307418]First off, Howdy. New guy here and enjoy all the info. So I go into Ritz to look at a 50 f1.4 and the guy shows me one along with also this new box that he just got in, a nice beautiful, big and heavy 70-200VR. Minutes later we are mounting the thing on a D80 body and the 50 is back in the box.

Have no idea how it happened but let's just say I don't have a 50mm yet.

WOW what a lense. Talk about sharp. Looking forward to learnin more from ya'll.[/QUOTE]

5. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    LMAO! Great first post! :biggrin:

I need to show my wife this thread so that she realizes that I have far more discretion than she "thinks" i do. :tongue:

6. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    can't show this post to my wife.. she will then know what she has suspected for some time....

we are all nuts...

hey, it's only rock and roll and i like it.

welcome to the asylum! where the nerves are frayed and the rough is deep.

you just read them a post like this and they thank God that you're not as nuts as the rest of them...

It makes the 50 1.4 go down a lot easier

7. Yeah, you gotta see me when I buy a car. You gotta have the right equipment. I will still go back and get the 50 f1.4, I am also going to have to get the 105 macro VR. I think that is a pretty cool lense as well. I have the 18-200VR and it is great but man when you mount a lense like that 70-200Vr and see what 2.8 can get you........well you're done. Either you sell off all your gear and take up knitting or you just come to grips with the inevitable reality of the situation.

My wife just shakes her head and laughs. It's not like I'm gambling away the house or drinking till 4:00 AM. I'm at the park with the boys shooting 4GB of pictures of them while changing every setting on the camera.

Lovin' it. I look forward to chatting it up with ya'll and learning some cool stuff. And definitely getting some ideas on new lenses.

8. plusfour

plusfour Guest

18-200VR's a nice, flexible lens but not in the same league as 70-200VR. Or weight. Or price bracket.

Seriously, watch out - last October I added the 80-200 2.8 to my 18-55 kit, $55 Sigma 28-70 (awesome lens for the money!) and Tamron 70-300 (free with the camera on a special deal). As of a couple of weeks ago my lens list now goes 80-200 2.8, 28-70 2.8, 50 1.4 and Sigma 10-20. The kit, Sigma 28-70 and Tamron all left via eBay. Nice as they were, they just couldn't hold a candle to the 80-200 so they weren't getting used. And 80-200 isn't much of a walkaround so something had to arrive!
    So, guess what the new lust is for? 85 1.4. Oh well, at least my new obsession with lighting will take the heat of that for a while...:smile:

You're right though, there are much worse ways to spend your time and money. And if you get pleasure from it, it's worth way more than the ticket.
    Sounds like you would be fun buying a car - next time you do, let us know what you go out planning to buy and what you come back with!!

Cheers!

9. jcovert

jcovert Guest

I think the 70-200vr took care of a bit of Lens lust for me (and it should for the $$), but I no longer feel like I have to have those primes in the same range. I've come to consider my 70-200vr a photographic weapon, able to focus on any subject, and erase the backgrounds.

10. A weapon it surely is. Love this thing. Eliminate the desire to get some new lenses I don't think it will though.