70-200VR and monopod question

I have always followed Nikon's recomendation of turning VR on, when using a monopod. Until now, this has yielded good results. This afternoon, I decided to take a few shots of birds and squirrels, in my back yard. I was using the 70-200, with TC17, on a monopod. Per usual, I had VR turned on. As I was preparing to go into the house, and had the camera removed from the monopod, I noticed some interesting birds, and grabbed a few shots hand-held, at 340mm and 1/60 second. When I viewed the shots, none of those taken with the monopod were sharp; and, the few taken hand-held were much sharper. Has anyone else experienced similar results?

I think I figured out the problem.

I think I have realized the problem. As I think back to taking the shots that were soft, my technique may have been the issue. In using a monopod, whenever I have a low fence, railing, etc., I put the monopod against that structure and lean into it with my knee, to get a stable base. Yesterday, I was doing this, against the railing of my deck, when I took the problem shots. Apparently, that technique steadies the monopod too much (approximating the steadiness of a tripod); and, makes it too steady for VR use.

I have previously had good results in using VR with a monopod; but, this is the first time that I had VR on, while using this technique to steady the monopod.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom