1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

70-200VR f/2.8 Mounting "Tightness"

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by NostalgicDad, Sep 27, 2008.

1. When I mounted the 70-200VR the first few times on the D300, I noticed there was just an ever so slight amount of "play" between lens and camera. I've only had this lens about a week and a half and it wasn't so much that I put much credence to it until I was also using it on my D80. That got me to thinking........there really shouldn't be any "play" when mounted on any camera. I compared with other lenses, Sigma included, and none of my other lenses do this.

So, what is everyone's experience with this? Again, it's a very slight amount of movement. I have a few days to return this to BH if I need to but they of course don't have any more in stock at the moment. What is the proper tolerance on this lens when mounted to the D300, etc? Should I be concerned or is this a common thing and I'm possibly over-reacting?

2. Adrien

Adrien

Jun 7, 2006
    The 661
    There's a history of Nikon's longer glass mounting loosely to some bodies. Mine mounts loose on my D300 and that's what attributed to my DBS problems early on. Since then, I came up with a 'band-aid' if you will. I take vinyl stickers and cut a couple of small pieces and stick them to the flanges on my TC1.4 and 70-200. Now when the are mounted it's a snug fit because of the 'shims' and I don't have any problems.

Adrien

3. "I came up with a 'band-aid' if you will."

Why bother? That lens (and its 80-200 predecessors) and several other longer Nikons have the same problem. Certain lenses do indeed have some play when mounted. Have used them for years without any problem at all.

Frankly, I would be reluctant to put any foreign substance on my lens mounts, especially if your "band-aid" is curing a non-problem.

4. Adrien

Adrien

Jun 7, 2006
    The 661
    Ahem.

Adrien

5. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Mine too, doesn't bother me too much.

6. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Mine is also a little loose. I don't notice this on any of my other lenses and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. Love the lens... I don't think you could pry it out of my hands! :biggrin:

7. I've noticed this on my 80-200 as well. I'm glad you made this thread as I was a little concerned at first.

8. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Mine does it as well. The only problem I have with it is an occasional lack of AF when the lens is moved away from the contacts.

It's easily fixed by simply adjusting the lens back.

9. 04749s

04749s

Sep 20, 2008
    east bay area
    70-200 Vr

I must have a good one , It has always mounted up nice and tight on the
    D70 and I just checked it on the 700 , nice and tight , even with the TC1.7 .

10. I decided to re-check my mounted 70-300VR and it also has just a very small amount of play and I've always gotten crazy sharp pictures from that lens. I shot a volleyball game this morning and an Oktoberfest this afternoon with the 70-200VR. Doesn't look like there are any issues that might relate to this. So, I'm just going to move forward and act like I never brought it up. After a week and a half, this lens has definitely proven itself! Thanks for all the responses!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.