70-200VR inconsistent results

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by voider, Dec 26, 2005.

1. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi,

I bought the 70-200VR along with a D2x 9 month ago. I had problems with both in the beginning. The D2x was replaced from Nikon and on the 70-200VR 3 parts have been replaced.

The D2x works perfect, especially after the firmware upgrade. I thought that the 70-200VR was working fine too but the problem was that I had no time using it over the last months on objects which were far away. On close distances I have no problems with it but on far distances. Let say more than 10-15 meters I have very inconsisten focusing results. Sometimes the focus is spot on but mostly I have back focusing issues.

No other of my lenses has any problems with my D2x...What I don't understand is that I have this issue not always.

The additional problem is that I live since 3 month now in Germany and I am not sure if they will fix it because I bought it in the US.

I can post some test pictures if requested. I used several focusing charts but these are mostly for short distances and on short distances (1-6 meters) the focus is spot on...

I am thinking about selling it since I use mostly primes. I bought it because I was shooting a lot of Horse Jumping Tournaments and needed a zoom lens.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gezzzz Paul,
    That goooooosss way beyond haze doesn't it.. Holey smokes.

4. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Dear Paul,

here are some examples. The funny thing is that when I was in Chicago with the lens (After the repair and exchange of 3 parts) and my old D2x I had no problems. I did not had a chance to shoot with it since i have my new D2x. I don't know if this may be the problem. Very confusing situation...never heard of sporatic backfocusing.

I just browsed through some of my pictures and I believe the backfocusing only occurs at 70mm. I have to do some tests. But this would explain the sporatic backfocusing.

Both of these shots are at 70mm. I could not find any pictures over 100mm which have this problem...weird. I have once read about problems with the 17-55 which has a problem on focusing on infinity when at 17mm...may be something similar with the 70-200VR...

Here is a pic from yesterday focused on the church. 70mm, 1/400, F4, in camera sharpening normal, NEF converted to JPG

[​IMG]

100% Crop of the church

[​IMG]

These are bad examples. I have also good ones but they are very rare with the 70-200VR. I will use it now more often but only for test situations. I feel to unsecure at the moment with the lens.

Here is a second example where I focused on the tag of the car but the background got sharp (Backfocusing)

[​IMG]

Focused spot:

[​IMG]

Sharp area: (Backfocused?)

[​IMG]

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Paul,

can you please give me a link about How to ...map AF sensor locations. I don't know what you mean... I googled it already and I am looking at www.bythom.com...but did not find it yet.

7. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    The 70-200VR can be sharp...here a shot at 155mm

100% Crop

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2006
  8. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    I just looked through some older pics from Chicago. Old D2x plus 70-200VR. All of them seem to be sharp, even at 70mm...

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

10. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    I will be away for the next couple of days but as soon as I am back I can show you the focus points. I know this function in capture. I am using that function often to check if the AF Error was on my side or not. The focus points were exactly on the areas I described.

This is one of the best source for tutorials IMO www.luminous-landscape.com

Happy new year and thank you for writing so quick back to me.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. Thom is of course quite right, but it begs the question:

Why doesn't Nikon provide reticles that indicate the actual location and shape of the AF sensors? And what is the point of providing reticles that do not? All they do is confuse the situation.

Makes no sense to me.

Yes, Canon isn't any better.