70-200vr learning curve

When I first got the 70-200vr I always compared it to my 180, which was not a fair fight, and in my opinion it just didn't have what it takes. Over time I have been using it more and getting better results. Now I find the results, while not great, but acceptable.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Its does not compare to my primes, but it does OK in a pinch.:wink:

....and it doesn't do to bad of a job on skin, but it does cause some odd looks.:Swirl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Images don't lie =) It's a winner. Sometimes I really think the 70-200 can do no wrong, even when compared to my primes.
It can do wrong.

Not great wide open. Focus hunts in low contrast lighting. Color is a bit warm in my opinion.

Other than the Beast, I've never found a zoom that can compare to a good prime. But the 70-200 is the best in it's class. Just my opinion.
I have yet to find a zoom that can beat a prime at what the prime was designed to do. You can use a hammer to turn a bolt, but it won't do it as well as a wrench. Different tools for different jobs. I try not to compare my lenses now, and just try to pick the right tool for the job at hand.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom