70-200VR to Paris?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sreeves31, Sep 24, 2008.

1. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Greetings. My wife and I are fortunate to be traveling to Paris in a few weeks and I have been busy ironing out the gear list. I'll be taking a D300 and three lenses for sure - Sigma 10-20, 17-55 and 50/1.8. Which brings me to my question: Will it be worth packing and lugging my 70-200VR along as well? I will be almost entirely in the city and while photography will be a major focus of the trip it will not be the exclusive focus. I know that what I decide depends primarily on my "style" of shooting but I would love to get an idea of what other Cafe members would do. (PS-I knew it wouldn't be long before I regretted selling my 18-200:frown:) 

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. IMHO you should bring it if you can manage it. You don't have a lens in your current list that can give you some great, medium-distance people shots with signfiicant isolation against the background. (Your 18-200 wouldn't have done that either.) This assumes you want to take that kind of shot.

I'm thinking of TheDude's people shots with his longer lenses in Paris as examples.

3. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    How often do you use that lens vs. how far will you have to lug it? How much will you regret a shot that you didn't get if you leave that lens at home? Obvious questions, I know, but pertinent ones.

When I look at most of my travel photos, I'd say that most of them are wide to mid-range shots. There are some exceptions where I used the long end, but mostly not. What kind of subjects do you have in mind?

Here's another thought. Is theft a consideration while you're traveling? Will you have it with you all the time or occasionally leave it in the room? When is your gear most vulnerable?

4. Yes, you would regret not taking it! — And, I'm sure your wife wouldn't mind carrying it if you buy her a nice Louis Vuitton back pack.

5. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH

6. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Paris is getting more expensive by the minute:eek: 

7. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

I only found I needed my 50 1.8 and 10-20 in Paris, but if you want to get more long shots it wouldn't be a bad idea. My friend also shot mostly his 17-40L, but he took out his 70-200 f/4 occationally. If you have room, throw it in. If not, you're probably nto going to miss much.

8. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Bring the Tokina 100 macro instead. If you had a smaller lens like a 180/2.8 bring that instead. The 70-200 won't be used much.

9. philcozz

philcozz

Jun 27, 2007
    Colchester, UK
    Having shot in Paris a number of times, I'd bring it (I bring my 70-300VR). The reason I say that is that the city offers so many opportunities for taking pictures of interesting people (at cafes, eating crepes, etc.) and general street scenes. For those kinds of shots I like to be a bit distant from the subject so I'm not so obvious, which is when a 70-200 would come in handy. Of course, if you don't shoot that kind of stuff it might not matter.

10. I'd bring it. I'd probably skip the 50 1.8 though

11. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    Paris

I've been to Paris on business three to four times in the last five years (Never with my Camera) but I would love to be in Paris with a camera.

Check on the weather to expect. I think by the beginning to middle of November the rainy season starts.

I have a 70-200, and I would probably leave it home. I would take everything else you mentioned. A 50mm, and a wide zoom should be great. When I go to Paris again, I would like to take a D90 with a 50mm lens and thats it... Well maybe a wider lens too.... I think that's it.

Have fun!

12. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA

Your experiences in Paris look quite a bit different then mine and very fun. I've convinced myself that when I travel on business again, regardless of where I go, I am going to take a day for myself each time to take in a few sites and explore with a camera. What I would love to capture about Paris was the cafe type lifestyle, where there can be a small cafe at every corner teaming with life and people enjoying a good coffee, meals and conversation. A way of life that can be quite foreign in the US. Ive seen a few of your other pics from Paris and it brought back some great memories.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Well that's probably because...

Well Jim that's simply because I don't travel there for business - I go there on Holiday and to spent time with my girlfriend and her family (No worry not a long distance thing we do live together.)

On the plus side I did accept an assignment once which had me running all over the city taking pictures when I was supposed to be on holiday :biggrin::biggrin: I guess I spend more time there last summer than I ever did as well - I was pretty much free with my time since I had no work to do ... It did get boring after a few weeks...

I think taking a day on business trips should be mandatory but that day needs to be planned first or you may never get what you are after 9Trust me I wasted many days that way...)

14. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies. Although I have not entirely made up my mind, I'll do my best to pack it. Maybe I can post the results and you all can tell me if it was worth the trouble...:wink:

15. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Yes, do let us know! I had an 8kg bag of only film cameras. Next time I'm traveling I'm definitely not bringing that much gear!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.