1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

70-200VR...with a D3

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TerribleTwins, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Yes....another 70-200 VR/D3 post....more fuel to the fire as to whether you think this combination works

All photos straight out of the camera...no processing.

730:p m at 4th July fire works.,
    [​IMG]

p692964475-4.

On the beach in Duck, NC (the reason my signature is what it is!!)
    View attachment 238674

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C & C welcome

Thanks

2. Why would this combo not work?

3. Bjorn said that there was too much vig. with this combination.

4. mikechang

mikechang

Jun 9, 2008
    San Diego
    I thought it's about the bad corner to corner sharpness issue with 70-200VR on FX

5. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

shot 1 may be the best expression wise but I think they look fine ...

6. Richard,
    Some people have reported that it doesn't seem to work as well on FX cameras as it did on the DX camera's...personally I don't see a difference so far...going from a D200 to a D3 (but thats just me....could be I'm not using it in the situations that other people are having issues with it.)

David

7. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Looks good to me.

8. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Definitely some noticeable vignetting on the corners and edges, but probably mostly fixable in post. The vignetting is much worse than I would have assumed. Can't really tell on the sharpness in the corners on these shots, but I'd assume it's lacking something.

This lens definitely looks weak to me on FX. Not unusable... easy enough to crop or fix the vignetting a bit and sharp in the middle, but it's still suprising for a $1500 lens.

As far as the shots. First thing I'd really say is to try not to put the subject in the center all the time. It really helps to move them off center, give them something to be going towards or looking at. You also might try pulling in a bit tighter or cropping, there is quite a bit of space above their heads.

Looks like they're having a blast! A little boogy boarding on the beach always a good time. Definitely some funs shots you'll want to keep around.

9. I don't think the vignetting or corner sharpness is bad enough to give too much worry over personally. ceratinly not enough to start claiming the combo doesn't 'work' - for something to not work for me it would have to be unuseable. When I first got my D3 I was shocked at the vignetting I must admit but whilst I would prefer it didn't do it, it certainly hasn't ruined the lens for me.

Corner sharpness again is slightly annoying but surely these problems all existed in the film days too to an extent?! (didn't really have pro stuff in my few months of film usage so don't know for sure!).

10. edsd3?

edsd3?

Sep 13, 2007
    Cumbria, UK.
    I've just read a review of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 in the August issue of Professional Photographer - it may be the answer to those looking for an alternative to the Nikon lens.

They gave it 5/5 for performance, value for money and overall. It costs about £550 but has no VR. It is designed for full frame.

Just a thought.

Ed

11. avexmax

avexmax

Jan 15, 2008
    Perth, Australia
    A prominent website reviewed the Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 and mentioned that although it had great optics, the AF was using a micro motor so it was slow & noisy. I did see posts (rumours) on the web that an updated Nikkor 70-200m could be on its way ...

Thanks for posting the pics, as many have mentioned there is slight vignetting but nothing a little post processing can't fix ... a nice combo none the less ...

12. Didn't notice the Vinetting - probably because I'm not used to looking for it - will play with the Vignetting control in NX 1.3.4 to see if anything changes. I'm not sure about your comment on lack of sharpness - maybe I'm missing something

As far as subject position - will correct that when I crop...Still getting used to the camera & I haven't got the hang of chaning the focus point whilst chasing the kids in action.

I was ankle deep in the surf when I took the beach shoots & I wasn't taking the camera in any further (didn't want explain to the financial controller that I had just dunked 6500USD equipment in the Sea:eek: )

13. I think those shots are great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.