70-200VR

From everything I've been able to read the 70-200VR is quite a lens. I have the 80-400Vr mainly for bird photos, which gets me out there to about 600mm at the long end. I'm concerned that with the 70-200VR even at the long end I'll only be somewhere around 300mm, which isn't alot of reach when shooting wild life.
My hope is that the 70-200VR is good enough that I can crop the photo and end up with close to what I would get using the 80-400VR at the 400 end.

Any thoughts?

you will be very disappointed...You will NOT have the reach at all. Not like the 400.
70-200 is a great lens for its purpose.
400 is a slow tracker. But just gotta learn the trick and technniques of it. Takes alot of practice.

I am going to get my 400 VR VR VR bake.

Yeah , come home to mama. :>)))))

Louis, I have the 1.7 tele with my 70-200,and I feel that there is no comparison between the two lenses. Remember, with the 70-200VR & 1.7 with a 1.5 crop, you're out to 510mm, with verry little loss. . That's a pretty good reach and a much better lens. Just my opinion.

Louis, I don't have any experience with the 80-400, but I agree with Jonathan about the 70-200. I use it with the Nikon 1.7x teleconverter all the time (510mm equivalent) and it is truly sharp.

And lastly...step away from the for sale sign and do not sell the 80-400mm VR. The 80-400mm VR has much longer reach than the 70-200mm unless you need the 200 for other types of shooting such as low light stuff. If you are hooked on bird shooting...do as the other have recommended, buy a TC and shoot away!!!

Thanks for everyone's input, but I think I'm going to continue on with my 80-400VR for a while. The 70-200VR must be a wonderful lens from all of the input, I'm just going to have to see where it will fit given that birds are what I'm after currently.

Re: It's here

Louis Champan said:
My 70-200VR just arrived viz UPS, so I'm out of here for an afternoon session with the lens. Hopefully I'll have something to share by next week.

Louis, you SHOULD have come to Juanita, see my post from yesterday.

Hope you like it. Met another fellow, Jay, at Juanita yesterday and he put his D70 on my 500mm. Can't wait to see how long it takes HIM to make the jump, want to give that one a go next time we meet :?: :?: :wink:

Bill - It was nice meeting you along with Richard & Jim. I had a wonderful time. I am looking forward to group shoots like these in the future.

I posted some pictures and comments in the Birds forum. Please check them out.

Thanks.

I go with the 70-200 VR plus the needed teleconvectors. Buying the range of the three tc's & you end up with 3 lenses in a way. And you still have that superb 70-200 VR as standard lens. Plus taking your own comfort in mind, you don't have to carry that heavy glass work around all day long. I do think about that matter, in my case shooting pictures of wildlife or race cars means quite long hiking tours and when I start walking I don't like to stop to rest a bit, I do everything at one stretch. I take a rest when I have reached the spot and eventually when I'm taking pictures. I think that the lens + the tc's will cover more than enough. If 400mm doesn't bring you close enough to your subject go for some stealth technics then :D :D hehe :wink:

Cheers

Johan

Latest threads

Top Bottom