70-210mm f/4 interesting

Just looked at a film camera and lens that my brother sent me and doesn't use anymore. Figured I could place them on a shelf for display. A Nikon N2020 (had one and really liked it at the time) and a Nikon 70-210mm f/4 that was made for only about a year and a half.

Haven't had time to test it yet but interesting lens. Constant f/4, zoom ring is smooth and short throw. When zooming the length stays the same a feature I have always liked. Bad is the front element rotates when focusing. Build is good also and takes a 62mm lens.

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience with this old one?

I've only used it on DX. It's wonderful at the short end but loses sharpness and contrast at the long end. Vignetting is really only there at the long end, and it's not bad on DX, though on a larger frame it would be more noticeable. AF is slow but accurate. It has a lot of purple fringing in high contrast situations.

It's a fine lens with better feel than the current budget lenses, and I've enjoyed some pictures taken with it, but it falls well short of modern constant-aperture lenses. With the small frame and high pixel density of the D7000 (my current body) it's lacking. With that said, I would love to use one on a D700 that could take advantage of the full image circle to reclaim some of the lost resolution on the long end. I'd probably shoot with it quite a bit if I had one of the early FX bodies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've only used it on DX. It's wonderful at the short end but loses sharpness and contrast at the long end. Vignetting is really only there at the long end, and it's not bad on DX, though on a larger frame it would be more noticeable. AF is slow but accurate. It has a lot of purple fringing in high contrast situations.

It's a fine lens with better feel than the current budget lenses, and I've enjoyed some pictures taken with it, but it falls well short of modern constant-aperture lenses. With the small frame and high pixel density of the D7000 (my current body) it's lacking. With that said, I would love to use one on a D700 that could take advantage of the full image circle to reclaim some of the lost resolution on the long end. I'd probably shoot with it quite a bit if I had one of the early FX bodies.
Really has a nice design. The real for runner of the 70-200mm f/2.8 type designs. It will be awhile before I can really test it but it should be fun.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom