70-300 VR Doing it all

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Huff09, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    I finally got my 70-300 VR and have been having a great time with it. So far I am very impressed with what this lens is capable of.

I knew the VR was going to be a big help, but I had no idea just how much so. I have been able to take a couple of handheld pictures at 300mm and 1/40th sec shutter and still end up with a respectably sharp image. Very nice.

Plus, this lens really is very versatile:

From Sports:

th_20070524-DSC_3674.

. . . to nature:

th_20070530-DSC_3989.

. . . to portraits of the wife and new baby:

th_DSC_4078-2bwcopy.

This is going to be a lot of fun. The only bad part is the lust I have for the 70-200 2.8 has now been magnified ten-fold :eek:

2. Nice pictures,
    was the guy in or out, you can see him slide and the ball almost in the hand....
    I also bought the 70-300 VR on saturday and its a nice lens, did you notice how much the VR does, try to zoom in to a far point and see the movement of the camera by its self, then activate VR by pushing it half way in and its stable...

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Nice shot of your wife and baby, and very brave of her to allow us (the internet) to see that shot!

I kinda regret selling mine, but I do like the Sigma 70-200 I replaced it with better!

4. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce Guest

I sold my 70-300 VR for the 70-200 2.8 and don't regret it one bit :)

That should help your lust ;)

5. kbaird

kbaird

May 7, 2007
    Midwest, USA
    Nice photos!

It is a very nice lens. I am also lusting after the 70-200vr.

6. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Get em both! I love the 70-200 it seems to be on my D200 most of the time. The balance of time the 70-300 and the 18-200 soooo get all three. dont you hate this forum... reading here will not save you any money, thats for sure.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All great shots
    Good little lens
    Nikon sleeper

8. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    That last one is a truely wonder shot.

9. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks Headstand...Yes, I absolutely love how well the VR stabilizes the shot. The runner was safe, by the way.

Weiran, Thanks. . . yes, she was brave. I was actually about to submit the post and than decided it was probably wise to get permission first :biggrin: . . . She's a good sport.

Thanks Chris, that doesn't help my lust one bit. Between the Cafe and my local camera shop I'm pretty sure I'm doomed to spend the cash.

Thanks Keith

Appreciate it Gale. I agree, this may be one of the best "bang for buck" lenses out there.

Thanks David, I appreciate the kind words.

10. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the great shots. I'm getting the 70-300 VR soon and can't wait.

11. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks Haze,

Is this one of the "Road Warrior" lenses you talked about in your other post? I think you are going to really enjoy it.

Plus it's nice and light compared to a lot of tele's, and I seem to remember that being once of your considerations.

12. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    The versatility of this lens continues to be fun

I have never been much into photographing animals, or wildlife in general, but this lens is really making it fun.

Just a couple more pics, both from my backyard:

th_20070615-DSC_4531.

th_20070610-DSC_4314.

13. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    It is a beautiful lens and can travel where others are too heavy to tread.
    Your pics are excellent and seems you are enjoying using it.

Regards.

14. robthorn

robthorn Guest

nice pictures. not being sick in any way but the portrait of your wife and child is amazing. Are you shooting handheld with all of these or are the on a tripod?
    thanks,
    robert

15. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Chris,

Yes, this is one of the Road Warrior lenses. It should be here before I leave for Japan next week.

16. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Robert,

Certainly don't think you're being sick, and thanks for the kind words. . . yes, these are all handheld.

17. robthorn

robthorn Guest

very nice

18. Hi Huff
    I appreciated all three shots, of course the latest is the one having a stronger emotional impact on people. Personally, the fact your baby is unconsciously tryng to grasp his mother's necklace, gives even a more powerful and dramatic adding to the scene.
    Great shot indeed.

Best wishes for you and your "just enlargened" (hope the word is right) family :)

19. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    I love this lens and when light levels fall it has its own signature.

Dull, rainy and foggy day:

[​IMG]

Enjoy your lens.

Regards.

20. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Just put in my order for the 70-300 VR and decided to get rid of the 55-200VR. A fine lens in its own right, but the extra reach at the long end is actually what I didn't know I wanted until AFTER I started using it -- oh well.