70-300 with TC 2X- Does it work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Feb 9, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi you all,

The young man who does my yard mowing just got the D70 and the 70-300 lens........He said he used it with the 2X TC last weekend and didn't like his pictures even though he braced the camera on the railing at the bird preserve when he shot...

My question is does the TC 2X work with the 70-300mm.. I'd sure like to help this man and I don't know the exact answer to this question. Do you know if any TC works with this lens?

Thanks for any answers you can give. I'm trying to sell my 70-300 and haven't used it so don't know much about it.

Many thanks,
    Gaye

2. I've used a 1.4x successfully, but I would thing the 2x would slow it down too much. just my opinion not based on any fact

3. Hi Gaye, technically, it will but you'll have a hard time having a stable focus, F11 as a minimal aperture is so/so

4. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks for the help on this question. I am letting Mike know that he probably should get the 1.4 and take the 2X back..

He said he could take it back..

Thanks a bunch!

It's nice to help others even though I'm only ten months ahead of him :)

Gaye

5. Gaye,

The TC that works with a 70-300mm would be a third party one like Kenko, for example. The modern Nikon TC's only work with AF-S lenses unless they are modified.

In any case, either of the Nikon 70-300 lenses become very soft beyond about 210mm. They work very well in the sweet spots at f/5.6 or f/8. And even though one is a 'G' and the other is 'ED' I've never been able to discern any serious difference between the two of them.

I would also not recommend using any TC with them at all. As Boobie Joe mentioned, with a TC you'd have to be at f/11 and that means either having a pretty bright subject or raising your ISO, and your background defocus (bokeh) will suffer even more than it does normally with this inexpensive lens.

Hope this helps.

Paul

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Paul,

Thanks for your post..

I am encouraging this man to not use a TC with the 70-300 and to think about getting the 300 f/4 to use with a TC...

He doesn't have resources so think a good, used 300 f/4 would serve him well... He needs something for the birds down here in south Florida.

Thanks ever so much for your help :!:

Gaye

7. I used a kenko pro 1.4 tc on my 70-300 a lot. I shot this with it:

original.

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Harris,
    You know how much I like that picture :)

I have it saved in my computer from when I first saw it on the dpreview forum last year.

Thanks for the picture and the info about the Kenko 1.4, I'll pass that on to my friend for sure :D

Gaye

9. Harris, now that is really a very good picture. You did all things right...and no need to worry about bokeh with the solid sky background. Hmm...maybe I'll have to go get a Kenko 1.4 Pro myself. :)

Regards,

Paul