70-300

Real Name
Randy
This used to be my soccer lens
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If it works fine, why replace it.
I would love that bit of extra reach, over the 70-200.

Our winter/soccer season is around the corner. If only my HS had day games. We start at 4pm as the sun goes down, and do 2 games, ending at about 9pm in the dark under lights. If I wasn't fighting the low light, I would be using a 70-300.

Real Name
Carl
Still got it
Sharp picture!
Yup. I still have mine, too! Excellent lens! ☺ Although quickly testing my new 70-300 P model, I find it slightly but noticeably sharper throughout the zoom range, and the newer 4+ stop VR a real help, although the 2+ stop VR of my 10 year old AF S, which was the first VR lens I ever owned is no slouch, either.
At 80, I am noticeably less steady than I was at 65-70, so I can use all the help I can get! Misquoting Zacchini in the movie "Tea House of the August Moon"... Brando in his best role, imo... "Shuttah Speed (Socks) up, Boss!"

If it works fine, why replace it.
I would love that bit of extra reach, over the 70-200.

Our winter/soccer season is around the corner. If only my HS had day games. We start at 4pm as the sun goes down, and do 2 games, ending at about 9pm in the dark under lights. If I wasn't fighting the low light, I would be using a 70-300.
Get a Sigma 120-300 Sport if you can afford it. I love mine.

I hand-hold it, with Black Rapid strap holding it. You can put it down every now and then when the action is at the other end.

I sold mine because it was unwieldy for me, even on a monopod
When I shoot HS football with my 70-200/4, I shoot the JV game with it on a monopod (to rest my arms), so that I can shoot the Varsity game free-hand.
The monopod severely limits my ability to track the players, so I use it only when and because I have to. I can track free-hand over a 120 degree arc. With the monopod, I am limited to about a 30 degree arc.

Last edited:
Liked mine so much I sold it a few weeks ago and upgraded to the new FF 70-300.
Tremendous VR (probably not really much practical use, but technically impressive)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom