70-300mm AF-P Focus issue on Z6 Mk II

I’ve recently bought a Z6II with FTZ adapter and bought a used 70-300mm FX AF-P lens to be my long lens. During my testing this weekend I’ve seen really inconsistent autofocus performance, which sometimes results in no focus at all. To get it working I need to switch over to a different lens (I don’t have any other FX lenses so I switch over to a Z mount lens) which works perfectly, and then put the FTZ and 70-300 back on. This will usually work but when I change focal length or focus mode, it will stop focussing: pressing the AF-On or Shutter button does nothing and even the manual focus override doesn’t react. What is weird is the the camera detects changes in the lens switches, so there is still communication.

I’ve submitted a return request for the lens but I have no way of determine if it’s a lens, FTZ or camera issue. I think the camera is OK because I have tested it with the 24-70/4 and the 50/1.8, but I don’t have a way of testing the FTZ.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

The usual suggestion is to clean all the contacts, just in case. Do you have a dSLR to test the lens without FTZ?
Unfortunately not. I don’t have another FX lens to test the FTZ or another camera to test the lens. I’m going to return the lens and hope that a replacement will work. I used the camera today with the 24-70 and the camera didn’t miss a beat, so it looks like it’s either the FTZ adapter or the lens.

Unfortunately not. I don’t have another FX lens to test the FTZ or another camera to test the lens. I’m going to return the lens and hope that a replacement will work. I used the camera today with the 24-70 and the camera didn’t miss a beat, so it looks like it’s either the FTZ adapter or the lens.
I had the same problems with a used lens I bought. I did what Phil suggested, cleaned the contacts, and it works perfectly!! I hope you get your troubles resolved quickly. Buying used is always a bit stressful.

Real Name
Randy
I sent my z6 to Nikon last week
The problem was focus near focus far and then try to focus near in the camera wouldn’t focus at all. After installing the latest firmware the problem got much worse now I can’t focus near at all unless I grab the manual focus ring. This is happening with the 500 PF Lens

Real Name
Randy
The Z6 produces incredible image quality but the auto focus functionality on this camera is severely hobbled for anything moving or too much competing contrast

I sent my z6 to Nikon last week
The problem was focus near focus far and then try to focus near in the camera wouldn’t focus at all. After installing the latest firmware the problem got much worse now I can’t focus near at all unless I grab the manual focus ring. This is happening with the 500 PF Lens
Oh, that sounds very similar to what I saw but a bit more random than that. The two native Z mount lenses were fine though; I’ve tried near-far-near focusing with the 50mm 1.8 and it performs fine. When I do that same test with the 70-300mm it fails after the first focus change.

Real Name
Randy
Oh, that sounds very similar to what I saw but a bit more random than that. The two native Z mount lenses were fine though; I’ve tried near-far-near focusing with the 50mm 1.8 and it performs fine. When I do that same test with the 70-300mm it fails after the first focus change.
def the same issue and apparently wide spread....some shooters on fm report the same symptoms. I live with it for 5 months and it drove me nuts w/ the lost shots

I believe I read somewhere that there are a batch of faulty FTZ adapters.
I use my 70-300 AF-P all the time on my Z6 without issue.

any chance of being able to try another FTZ?
That will be my next plan after I receive my replacement 70-300. The replacement lens arrives on Tuesday. I hadn’t heard about faulty FTZ adapters, thank you.

Real Name
Randy
I believe I read somewhere that there are a batch of faulty FTZ adapters.
I use my 70-300 AF-P all the time on my Z6 without issue.

any chance of being able to try another FTZ?
I almost sent the adapter it also but if I get the z6 back and I still have the problem than the adapter goes in next under warranty still

My replacement lens arrived today and so far everything is good. With the previous copy the focussing would fail when I zoomed in or out whilst using C-AF. Once it failed, there was no getting it back until I’d switched over to another lens and then back again. So far this new lens passes the zoom in/out C-AF test but I’ll be testing it more thoroughly later on.

My Z6 also has issues focusing back to close range after focusing on a more distant object. I've found that focusing on vertical lines, like my fence slats gets the camera to focus. Round or horizontal objects, and the focus just gives up and stops hunting.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom