70-300mm VR lens and Kenko 2x TC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JohnR, Mar 22, 2007.

1. I was wondering if anyone knows if these work together? It's the Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 2x

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think most 2x gives to much image degradation
    You could try the 1.4
    But would not go over that myself
    Not sure if the tc,s work with that lens
    Kenko might though
    B&H could tell you

3. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Work? I'm sure it will "work", but the new maximum aperture will be f/11 so if there is any autofocus it will be pretty spotty. I would expect the image quality to be poor too.

4. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    If you really need more reach, the 80-400VR might be a better option. Slow zooms rarely work well with TCs.

5. Well, I don't own the 80-400mm.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

6. John, I do not think a TC would work well on this lens. It is a wonderful lens on its own, but have never found TC's to be much good on zooms, especially ones that have a 5.6 speed. Maybe be thinking about a prime to reach a bit further. I know this might not be in the budget, but B&H has the Tamron 300 2.8 for $2299 after this mail in rebate. That is the prime that TC's really work well on. Just something to think about.:smile:

Nancy

7. I once stacked 2x and 1.4x Kenko TCs behind a 80-200 f/2.8 D giving an affective f/8 max aperature. While the AF was slow it was still pretty accurate (though CA was horrible and resolution was not great either). So I'd say unless the 70-300mm VR has some physical attribute that causes it not to work (lens hits TC element) or you have an older non-DG TC I'd say it would work... though for how well the images turns out, you'll have to be the judge