70-300mm VR lens and Kenko 2x TC

I think most 2x gives to much image degradation
You could try the 1.4
But would not go over that myself
Not sure if the tc,s work with that lens
Kenko might though
B&H could tell you

Work? I'm sure it will "work", but the new maximum aperture will be f/11 so if there is any autofocus it will be pretty spotty. I would expect the image quality to be poor too.

If you really need more reach, the 80-400VR might be a better option. Slow zooms rarely work well with TCs.

John, I do not think a TC would work well on this lens. It is a wonderful lens on its own, but have never found TC's to be much good on zooms, especially ones that have a 5.6 speed. Maybe be thinking about a prime to reach a bit further. I know this might not be in the budget, but B&H has the Tamron 300 2.8 for $2299 after this mail in rebate. That is the prime that TC's really work well on. Just something to think about.:smile:

Nancy

I once stacked 2x and 1.4x Kenko TCs behind a 80-200 f/2.8 D giving an affective f/8 max aperature. While the AF was slow it was still pretty accurate (though CA was horrible and resolution was not great either). So I'd say unless the 70-300mm VR has some physical attribute that causes it not to work (lens hits TC element) or you have an older non-DG TC I'd say it would work... though for how well the images turns out, you'll have to be the judge

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom