70-300VR & Canon 500D fun

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Holmes, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Certainly no substitute for a true macro rig but it sure makes a great portable set-up for handheld close-up fun.

The ubiquitous and pesky fly:
    250mm, f/22, 1/160s, ISO 100
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Enemy of the vegetable garden:
    250mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 280
    p722151318-5.

Shoulda been set at f/22 on the grasshopper, too, and maybe I'd have the head in focus!

Comments welcome and a great weekend to all!

2. Great shots but I have no idea of how you got those critters to stay still considering how close you have to be to get those shots. I have the same rig and haven't been able to nail shots of insects or bugs like that.

3. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    I have one for my 70-200 but have only used it a few times. I really need to go out and play with it. Thanks for reminding me. Nice shots.

4. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Yes, those bugs are not the most cooperative subjects, eh?! And having a couple dogs 'helping' me doesn't do much for success either!

I usually just settle in with the bugs for a few minutes sitting or kneeling quietly while observing the flora around me. You'd be surprised how many interesting insects you'll see that you would not have spotted if you were walking through. It's then a matter of approaching with the camera slowly. And my keeper rate is still less than 10 percent :biggrin: But it's fun and keeps me outta trouble!

I'll bet that 70-200 really perfroms nicely with a close-up lens attached. The lens collar would allow the use of a monopod which could certainly be a benefit in this kind of fun. This is the one area where I've wished the 70-300 had such a collar as it doesn't handle near as well on a 'pod.

Good luck and enjoy!

5. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    Holmes, great photos but pardon me for my naiveness. I somehow did not understand the title - 70-300mm VR & Canon 500D.

6. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Hello Gurudutt,

The Canon 500D is a close-up lens attached to the primary telephoto just as one would install a filter. It's a two element optic that allows the telephoto lens to focus much closer than it normally does. With the 70-300 VR, the 500D lets me focus down to about 20" (50cm), as compared to its original minimum focus distance of 4.9 feet (1.5m).

On my lens I use a 58mm 500D on a step-down ring to fit the Nikkor. This allows me to keep the hood in place and I get no vignetting with the rig.

You can read more about the 500D here:

http://www.adorama.com/CA77CU500D.html

Hope this helps!

7. Bezoar

Bezoar Guest

Nice shots!

8. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.