700mm, slow shutter speed and high ISO

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Sometimes things work out. I was shooting Stellar Jays, that are passing through on their migration, but the lighting was less than ideal. I had to choose between really slow shutter speeds and high ISO. The compromise I decided on was 1/100 to 1/160 sec at ISO 400 - 500 and +1/3EV. In camera sharpening was set at normal.

The lens was a 500/4 + TC14EII. I shot wide open at f/5.6.

The processing involved running the NEFs through NC with no adjustments. Reduced to 800 pixels and converted from Adobe RGBto sRGB in CS2 using a script.

Here are the results:

This one has more noise, and I could reduce it significantly with selective sharpening and noise removal, but I do not find it objectionable. BTW, this is full frame.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Don't see no flippin noise. All I hear is noise about your pooooor equip..

Cool wanna trade. :>)))
    You'll see what crap is in a big hurry.

Beautiful images and NO noise.

This monitor seeeeeessss ALLLLL noise. It is driving me nutzzzzzzzz

3. work well worth the effort Rory

4. Very nice Rory funny thing I went after some whitetail this afternoon and I too had to shoot ISO 400-800 to get any kind of decent shutter speed using the 200-400Vr with 1.4. Btw what a beautiful bird the shot looks excellent to me

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

beautiful blues (my fav color) on that bird and sharpness to boot
    well done

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful images, Rory. I'm not quite sure how you focused the first one so well with the branch in the foreground...but you certainly nailed it. The secong image is cropped beautifully and the detail on both are wonderful. Great shooting, Rory!

7. Hi Frank

My focusing technique on both was to orient the central focus bracket on the eye, fucus using the thumb dedicated button, reframe and fire away. For the closeup this is tricky as the Jay was hopping about.

8. NO pun intented but these are Stellar!! :wink: Beautifully done Rory, and the noise or lack there of is not objectionable what so ever, these are keepers! Sometimes we all get a little anal. LOL!!! Awesome job bud, and what a beautiful bird!

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rory,

Excellent shots. I agree with the others that the noise is certainly not objectionable (what noise??). :smile:

I use exactly the same technique that you described above for shooting posing birdies. Focus on the eye using the AF-On button, release, re-frame, shoot. I'm so glad that RR showed me that trick. :tongue:

10. Frank,

What technique do you use for in-flight shots?