720P LCD TV as a Monitor Question

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by aldirtfarmer, Jul 29, 2008.

1. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    Can anyone relay experiences with using any of the 720P LCD TV as a monitor??

I need a larger monitor (current = 17 inch) and I want to use it as a second TV. I'm seeing more and more 22 to 24" inch LCD HD TV with both cable, component, S-Video, HDMI and VGA inputs. My video card has both 1 VGA 1 HDMI and 1 DVI outputs but I'm not sure how well the combination will work.

Is the quality acceptable for use as a monitor? Can it be calibrated? I have a spyder (I).

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    720p is probalby a little on the low res side for a computer display at 22-24inches. It is certainly doable...but its like laptop resolution stretched (1280x720). It probalby wont be ideal for photo editing (depending on how much you do).

3. I agree that a 720p HDTV will be a poor computer monitor. I often show my photos to friends and family on our Sony XBR 32-inch HDTV, and the resolution and color accuracy is quite poor compared to my Dell 24-inch Ultrasharp monitor. And inversely, I have an HDTV card for the computer, and the Dell 24-inch doesn't show TV pictures nearly as well as the Sony HDTV.

Each component is optimized for its intended application, it appears.