1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

720P LCD TV as a Monitor Question

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by aldirtfarmer, Jul 29, 2008.

1. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    Can anyone relay experiences with using any of the 720P LCD TV as a monitor??

I need a larger monitor (current = 17 inch) and I want to use it as a second TV. I'm seeing more and more 22 to 24" inch LCD HD TV with both cable, component, S-Video, HDMI and VGA inputs. My video card has both 1 VGA 1 HDMI and 1 DVI outputs but I'm not sure how well the combination will work.

Is the quality acceptable for use as a monitor? Can it be calibrated? I have a spyder (I).

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    720p is probalby a little on the low res side for a computer display at 22-24inches. It is certainly doable...but its like laptop resolution stretched (1280x720). It probalby wont be ideal for photo editing (depending on how much you do).

3. I agree that a 720p HDTV will be a poor computer monitor. I often show my photos to friends and family on our Sony XBR 32-inch HDTV, and the resolution and color accuracy is quite poor compared to my Dell 24-inch Ultrasharp monitor. And inversely, I have an HDTV card for the computer, and the Dell 24-inch doesn't show TV pictures nearly as well as the Sony HDTV.

Each component is optimized for its intended application, it appears.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.