8 images from Saturday's Wedding

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Photo, Jun 7, 2005.

1. From this weekends wedding: I'm going through over 2,200 frames from a job I'm sure some would say we overshot a little... But I have known the groom since I was in middle school, so we spared no media cards. My associate photographer and I blasted 16.3GB worth of NEF's in less than 6 hours: here is a peak at a few of my personal favorites.

I purposely chose a variety of compositions to display here. I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

[​IMG]
    D2x, 28-70 AFS, 1/60, f/4, ISO 200, bounce flash + window light.
    Using her dress as a backdrop, I stood on a rather flimsy chair while the bridesmaids held her dress up high.

[​IMG]
    D2h, 12-24 AFS DX, 1/60, f/4, ISO 320, bounce flash + window light
    I couldn't let her bridemaids hide behind the dress all day! (Her daughter is on the left.)

[​IMG]
    D2x, 28-70 AFS, 1/80, f/4, ISO 320, window light, -0.7EV bounce fill flash
    Detail of the rings & dress.

[​IMG]
    D2x, 28-70 AFS, 1/500, f/4. ISO 200, multiple wireless SB800's.
    Formal Bridal portrait means I get to use wireless iTTL!

[​IMG]
    D2x, 28-70 AFS, 1/80, f/4, ISO 400, bounced flash
    This is my buddy trying to be GQ. He's not used to being photographed, but he did well here.

[​IMG]
    D2h, 12-24 AFS DX, 1/1,250, f/5.6, ISO 400, -1EV fill flash
    The infamous group shot. I love the Bride's daughter holding her hands up so she doesn't have to see them kiss! :)

[​IMG]
    D2x, 28-70 AFS, 1/1,600, f/4.5, ISO 200, -1EV fill flash
    Trying out a new angle.

[​IMG]
    D2x, 28-70 AFS, 1/6 (yes you read that correct) f/3.2 ISO 400, rear sync flash.
    Not a Photoshop effect folks. With a shutter speed at 1/6 sec, I twisted and moved the camera to smear the background into a firery painting.

Thanks for lookin at the modem buster.

2. Hi Joe,

Thanks for comenting on my sample pics. Here's another thread you might want to look at, since you're into wedding photography

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=4440

You clearly overshot a little... too much :wink: but the pictures are outstanding! Excellent job. Your friend will be delighted.

Excellent!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Nice work Joe. I would over shoot a wedding too(insurance) .

4. Thanks guys.

I usually keep my shot count between 1500 and 1800, then deliver 1000 to 1200 to the couple. I work with an associate photographer and at times an assistant, so the frames pile up over a long day. All of our clients thus far love it.

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    These are really great

Keep posting more. With 2200 pictures surely there are more you could share with us!!!

6. There are one or two other good ones I could post... :)

We got into a dragging the shutter discussion on another forum because of the last shot. I processed a few and will share them shortly.

7. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Joe, last shot is cool
    I got the Nikon Lighting DVD and Joe MCNally does a similar thing with rear synch flash and slow shutter top capture football palyers doing footwork drills

Can you describe the placement of your multiple flashes in the bride portrait (this is exactly what I Want to be able to do)

8. Thanks Twig... the only thing I hate about Joe McNally is that he has more SB800's than I do! :)

On a serious note, I have his DVD also, and while it does a good job showing how versitile the flashes are, the second half of the DVD (the high school series) was pretty boring. I've seen so much of his work, I guess I was expecting to see something really spectacular. The desert images were stunning though.

To answer your question, for the bridal portrait here, I have one SB800 on camera as a master with 0EV compensation. The camera was rotated vertically clockwise so the flash was facing off the right side. I aimed the flash off camera up and to the right 45 degrees and used the diffuser dome. The remote was set to 0EV and was being held by my associate illuminating her from the right side without a diffuser. Natural light filled in the gaps.

[​IMG]

9. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Thanks Joe,
    Yes, I wish that dvd got a little more technical with the set up's too, instead of saying "gee Nikons iTTL is so perfect I don;t have to do any compensation" I like the articles by Dave Black
    http://www.daveblackphotography.com/workshop/0408.htm

Those are cool, but I wish I could watch a video of him doing his shoots.

Anyway, I have 4 SB-800's, let me know if you are ever in NYC.
    Lightsphere seems to work pretty nicely for the on camera flash btw for softer light, not that your pics need improvement.