80-200 2.8 D "milky" results

Hello all,

I want to ask you some questions. I shot some deer last weekend and was not happy with the results from my D700/80-200 combo. As you can see below the result is high in brightness and low in contrast. A quick Auto tone in Lightroom gave me something like the second picture.
The circumstances during the shoot were not too bad. No fog/mist or haze as you might think. But, at 05:37 in the morning a little bit low light situation.

My questions: Do you have any idea what the cause is of this result?
How do I prevent this from happening?

Settings:
F2.8
1/200
Auto ISO --> 2200
Auto WB --> Temp 5450
Color space AdobeRGB (files below converted to sRGB)
Full Exif in the full size JPG (see link below)

Milky result full size

Milky result:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Similar file after post processing in Light room:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The metering system was fooled by the dark scene. It needed help from the photographer. Dialing in -1.0ev of exposure compensation would have solved the problem.

Hello again,

Thank you for your quick replies! Let me reply back to each of you.

Mr L: No it was not foggy nor hazy. I would have seached for other photo opportunities if it would have been like that.

Fightin14 and Reaper and andrzejmakal: Moisture or condensation is not a bad idea. The camera did not feel damp but, I did not look at the front element of the lens. Unfortunately I can not check anymore.

Uncle Frank: Looking again at the picture I agree it is a little over exposed but, not by 1 stop. Something like half a stop would curtainly have helped!

tanchiro58: I do not know if I disturb a dream here, but it is a large area near Bloemendaal in the Netherlands where they purify the water for Amtserdam in a natural way using the thick underground sand layers of that area. The dunes that form the Dutch natural defence against the sea are on top of these layers and form a 'large' nature reserve.

While you all were writing your replies I had a look at some other photos I took later that day. By looking at those I tend to agree more and more with Uncle Frank. I'll let you know when I know some more.

The metering system was fooled by the dark scene. It needed help from the photographer. Dialing in -1.0ev of exposure compensation would have solved the problem.
Unless this is a common experience with the lens all the time, this is the best explanation.

Hello Guys,

Again thank you all for your help. It's getting late on this side of the big pond. I'll try Andrzej's suggestion to fog up the front element of the lens tomorrow.
I will also try to revisit the place next weekend (great another really EARLY morning ;-). According to the forcast the weather should be similar to last monday and I will reshoot with -1 EV.

I don't know about that, it's not your typical meter-fooling high-contrast scene. It doesn't look like any normal overexposure I've seen, mainly due to how even the lightening is over the entire image and how contrastless it is.

But, at 05:37 in the morning a little bit low light situation.
I have seen this occassionally with my 70-200. I suspect it is lens flare. Under certain circumstances, even when the sun (or primary light source) is well out of the frame, you can get images that look just like this one.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom