80-200 2.8 ed loose lock ring

So I just purchased one of these locally from someone who said they hadn't used it in awhile. Turns out the spring under the button for the locking ring is about shot. This appears to be a common problem with this lens. The seller offered to refund my money. Should I do so, or just keep it since this seems to be a common problem with this lens? Other than this this the lens is great.

I think you mean the aperture ring lock, which was a push in spring lock on the early AF lenses. It shouldn't be too expensive to fix - get a quote is the only way to find out. Otherwise just live with it, but make sure the lens is set to minimum aperture to work properly on your D7000.

Unless you regularly use manual focus with this lens you can do what I do and gaffer tape over the lock ring (just over the button in my case so as not to accidentaly switch to MF without me knowing) and be done with the issue.

Unless you regularly use manual focus with this lens you can do what I do and gaffer tape over the lock ring (just over the button in my case so as not to accidentaly switch to MF without me knowing) and be done with the issue.

Exactly what I did with the one I had years ago. Then just forget about it and enjoy this excellent lens.

I would be ok with just taping it, but if I ever decide to sell it Ill have to lower the price from what I paid. It looks like Nikon charges between 150-200 to fix, so the seller offered to give me back $200 to pay for it, so Ill keep it and send it into nikon after the summer.

Thanks for all the replies!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom