80-200/2.8 is for the birds

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, May 18, 2007.

1. The 80-200/2.8 AF 2-ring was my first pro lens, and may still be my best, for certain things. Hummingbirds are one of those things.

I set up 3 flashes on stands and used the su200 to trigger them. Since they were set at 1/8 power, their short firing interval, not the shutter, froze the hummingbird. The 80-200 captured an amazing amount of detail at f/8.

1/250s f/8.0 at 200.0mm iso100

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  2. My goodness, that is beautiful!

3. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great shot Frank. Perfect shutter speed for the wing action.

4. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Wow, quite impressive. Did the flashes scare/surprise the birds at all?

5. No, the flash doesn't bother them at all, but the sound of the shutter makes them jumpy until they get used to it. The males are aggressive little beasties, and their first reaction is to attack, not run. Sometimes it makes for a good pose, like in this shot from last year.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  6. Both shots are awesome!

I'd love to print that and hang it on my wall..

Gary

7. Wow. Spectacular color.

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks. Looking at this thread just made me a little poorer. :biggrin:

9. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

That makes me think...I wonder what the correlation is between # of threads read in the Lens Lust forum and number of dollars spent on lenses by forum members....

10. Arif

Arif Guest

Frank,
    Both shots are beautiful. Nice experimentation with the use of flash. Thank you for posting.
    Arif
    www.aiqball.zenfolio.com

11. stephen99

stephen99

Nov 22, 2006
    Holland, Ohio
    Excellent shots as always Frank. I owned this lens myself at one time but decided to sell it and get the 300mm f4. Both lenses are awesome but I do miss the zoom sometimes.

12. Thanks for all the comments, folks. Here's another shot of the wee beastie, taken a dinner time.

13. rsquared value = 0.99999!!!!:smile: :biggrin:

14. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Frank,

These are all beautiful shots. I am so envious. I've put a hummer feeder in the yard, but I've only seen two at the feeder so far and I didn't have camera in hand either time. Don't know if they'll come back. Hope so.

Great idea to use the flash. I've never considered it, but now I'm going to try that out. I'll experiment with other birds at the feeders, too, I think.

As always, stunning photography. And thanks for the good ideas.

God bless.
    Doug

15. If you put sugar water in it, they'll be back. Count on it.

Keith wrote a tutorial on hummingbird photography. It's a good starting point towards developing your own approach.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=78279

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. Hard to answer, Ed. I've used both lenses for birding, and prefer the 80-200. I've used both for people, and prefer the 180. I can't explain why, but that's my reaction.

17. Shooter

Shooter

May 7, 2007
    New York
    Great shots I have to learn more about multi flash use thanks for sharing.

18. Ciao Frank,
    great shot. At the photographic academy in Milan are just actually facing (roughly, being the base course that whoever can take) the possibilities offered by the flash and yes they too explained the fact that is the flash that "freeze" the image, and not the shutter speed that I discovered it's not real at all. I discovered that the real fastest speed at which inner tents can work is the syncro-x time (1/125 - 1/250 - 1/500s) on the camera. Up to that time, the sensor or the film will be fully exposed to light before the second tent start winding after the first, but, going "faster", it's just an anticipated starting of the second tent (and this is why if you shoot with flash and go faster than your syncro-x time you will get a black area more or less wide on your picture). They explained that this kind of working acts more like a further diaphragm than an effective shutter. And this is why also you need the slow sync to get more light for the rest of your picture: due to the extremely high influence of the flash on the environment, you have to slow down time even up to 8-10 times so if from a 1/60s, slow sync will be set automatically around 2" long, whatever external light you could have.