1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

80-200 2.8 or 70-300 vr

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Ronnie, Aug 8, 2008.

1. For outdoor sports shooting (good light) which do you recommend? I figure a used two-ring vs. a new vr would be close to the same price. I'm shooting on a D300.

2. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    If you have enough light the 70-300VR will focus a bit faster, but you need a lot of light to stop action or shoot at higher ISO with its smaller maximum aperture.
    The 80-200 is still selling well on ebay for used. They are fetching around $650 or more. The 70-300VR can be had for $409-459 brand new. I paid less and got a nice lightly used one.

3. I would personally go for image quality over reach in this situation. I had an 80-200 (non-AF-S) and it was razor sharp. Image quality is on par with the 70-200 IMO and for the money, it is a bargain.

4. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Go with speed: 80-200 2.8, you already have a 18-200.
    Need more reach? Slap on a TC for your 80-200.

5. I echo the above sentiments.
    I've used both lenses, and while the 70-300 VR is a great lens, the optical quality of the 80-200 is far superior. You can get a used two ring version for a (relatively) reasonable price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.