80-200 2.8 push pull.. Worth it?

Mine is excellant. I wouldn't really upgrade even if I could. I have it on a D2h and it's fast to focus,and the image quality is on a par with anything I use. I think I paid about $450 for mine a couple of years ago and it was definitely not in what I would call pristine condition cosmetically. Mechanically it was and is perfect.

I have the D version push pull currently and believe it to focus faster than the earlier version(owned one about fours years ago so I may be mistaken).

$350 is a good price for either. Great images. Great build.

Worth a look I say.

it was too big for me and I struggled to get in focus shots handheld. I also do travel photography the most so my tripod is small and couldn't support the lens

ahh sweet optically would it be in the same field as the 70-200 2.8?
yup. optically, they are superb.

the one and only downside of the push-pull, imho, is the lack of a tripod collar.

the AF isn't as snappy as the two touch D series and neither are as good as an AF-S in this regard.

but, unless your business is to shoot sport in low light, the older D series 80-200/2.8s are awesome.

I do a lot of weddings, i would like something with VR because of the extended focal length but for 350 i don't think i could pass this up if it proves to be in good working order.

After looking at the description, it would appear to be a good bargain. I still enjoy mine after 20 years!

Regards,
John

at that price you can buy it and try it out and if you don't like you will still sell it and profit

I love my 400.00 push pull.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yes it is big and heavy but the optics are great! I love my push-pull model and I cannot believe that one is being sold for only $350.00. I see ads for this lens at much higher prices and never for under $450.00. Don

I am waiting on a response email, i feel this lens may have something wrong with it haha. I guess we will see!

I have never done a used item transaction in which I didn't meet the seller in person and test out the product. Just sayin.

ahh sweet optically would it be in the same field as the 70-200 2.8?
Yes and no. In the corners, both 70-200 f/2.8's are far superior. As far as AF both 70-200's are in a different league, in low light the 70-200 will lock on focus better and hunt alot less, not to mention AF speed. Supposedly all versions (at least I think all versions) of the 80-200 are a little soft at 200mm. I have never noticed this on mine.

In the middle of the frame where it counts the 80-200 is certainly in the same league as the 70-200.

Yes, IMHO for $350 you can't go wrong.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom