80-200 AF-D (2 ring) Clunking Sound?

My lens has always made a loose kind of rattle/clunking sound when I tilt it back & forth or up & down. The sound seems to be coming from the front of the lens. Just a gentle rocking will cause the "clunking". I've never been sure if this is a normal thing for this lens or a problem so I haven't used it much. I'm hoping it's normal since I bought it used and don't have the original receipt in case I need to send it for repair. Just in case, what is the procedure for sending a second hand lens to Nikon for service?

Ok, so it seems my lens has a problem...any idea what it could be?

I had the 1-ring version of this lens for exactly 24 hours. It rattled and made internal clunking noises. I sent it back to KEH the next day.

While I appreciate the reports from those of you checking in to let me know your's works fine, I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me just a bit more direction in how to proceed in determining if it is indeed in need of service and how to go about it.

From original post - " I'm hoping it's normal since I bought it used and don't have the original receipt in case I need to send it for repair. Just in case, what is the procedure for sending a second hand lens to Nikon for service?"

My lens has always made a loose kind of rattle/clunking sound when I tilt it back & forth or up & down. The sound seems to be coming from the front of the lens. Just a gentle rocking will cause the "clunking". I've never been sure if this is a normal thing for this lens or a problem so I haven't used it much. I'm hoping it's normal since I bought it used and don't have the original receipt in case I need to send it for repair. Just in case, what is the procedure for sending a second hand lens to Nikon for service?

Ho! by the way, give a look in the ring that holds the front element! sometimes it can be lose! good luck
Rgds
Antonio

1. Don't tilt or shake the lens. :biggrin:
  2. The sound is there to reassure you the lens is still there. :cool:
  3. If it is in your backpack and you are in grizzly bear country,the sound will keep bears away. :eek:
  4. Go to this site for info on Nikon Service: http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Service-Information.page
  5. Also check with KEH (KEH.com) and http://www.authorizedphoto.com/

Thanks...now we are getting somewhere. I'm glad you ejected a little humor into the post as I was beginning to wish I was somebody like Nute or Terri as this thread would of have been 40 pages long by now and ended with a complete stranger pm'ing me to let me know that they had chartered a private jet to fly my 80-200 roundtrip to Mellville.

While my 80-200 is out at Nikon to hopefully repair a focus problem, I do recall a clunking noise. Matter of fact, I recall speaking to Nikon in California about this clunking noise. And according to my description of how I move(shake) the lens to make the noise occur, they used a technical lens term describing what was happening. But said it was normal.

mike

Thanks...now we are getting somewhere. I'm glad you ejected a little humor into the post as I was beginning to wish I was somebody like Nute or Terri as this thread would of have been 40 pages long by now and ended with a complete stranger pm'ing me to let me know that they had chartered a private jet to fly my 80-200 roundtrip to Mellville.

Ok, fine... flight canceled. I know when I am not wanted. :)

Mine has been free of any noises except the screaming when I miss a shot.

Eric

While my 80-200 is out at Nikon to hopefully repair a focus problem, I do recall a clunking noise. Matter of fact, I recall speaking to Nikon in California about this clunking noise. And according to my description of how I move(shake) the lens to make the noise occur, they used a technical lens term describing what was happening. But said it was normal.

mike

Actually, even though I was told this noise is normal, I am now wondering if it could be related to my focus problem. I have been told that I may possibly have a decentered lens by someone on this forum, related to the lens elements. And coincidentally, new parts are being ordered for the lens. I just called Nikon again, and they do indeed hear the noise in *their* lens.

Anyway, pertaining to your lens. I would tentatively think that if you are NOT having any focus issues...major front or back focusing, or a decentering problem, and the noise is not really heavy, it could be OK. But I would definitely keep an eye on it.

Quite frankly, I do not recall whether or not this noise was there when I first bought the lens(used). Or it became evident as time went by.

I will know more next week.

Mike

Since my question raised actually more questions to me and the lack of response from the Cafe was pathetic at best, I posed the very same question on another forum. I'm going to post two very opposing views from that query below.

#1 "It's normal. Tilt or gently shake the lens, and there's a dull internal thud. Presumably an internal floating element group moving.

There's a more pronounced "thump" when switching from MF back to AF, when the AF mechanism first engages when you hit the AF-on button or shutter."

#2"I have this lens as did a friend of mine before upgrading. This happened once at a wedding and he kinda freaked out. We found out the reason was because the AF/MF ring was not locked into the AF setting. It was somewhere in the middle.

Might not be the same problem but it definitely did the same sound you are describing. Also be cautious as this ring breaks a lot on people's lenses (did on his but not yet on mine) and apparently Nikon doesn't admit it's a design problem and won't 'usually' fix it."

My lens seems to AF just fine, the images are sharp and I love the way the 80-200 AF-D renders colors and bokeh. In short I really like this lens with the exception of not knowing if that infernal clunking sound is normal or not.

Thank you in adavance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom