1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

80-200 AF-D back-focus??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sbruno, Aug 18, 2009.

1. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Just got one of these beauties yesterday- and found that at 200mm, the focus field is about two inches behind where it should be. It wouldn't be a big deal, but it's enough to completely miss focus wide open and at f4. And it's a bit too muh for my D700 to make up for with focous adjustment feature.

Anyone else have this issue with an 80-200/2.8? I'd love to know the best way to handle it - e.g., is it a cheap fix if I were to send it in, or is it worth trying to send the lens back to the selller?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. I bought one from KEH a few months ago that had a backfocus, ended up sending it back since my D80 doesn't have focus fine tune. Would have exchanged it but they raised prices about $70 then so got a 70-300VR instead. Not the same, of course, but did want to point out an issue that I had with the 80-200 :smile:

3. Hi Steve.

So even with a -(20) AF Fine Tune adjustment at 200mm no good? How is it focusing at other focal lengths?

Focus issues with this lens are very common on digital bodies. I used to own it, and had front/back focus issues. I had this issue confirmed at Nikon....nothing they could do about it.

Mike

4. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, -20 still misses it. Not great new about your experience - so there was just no way to fix that? Wow...

5. I would take a guess and say that if your back focus issue starts to get better at shorter focal lengths, it could be a non-repairable issue.

Just my opinion,

Mike

6. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Isn't the issue at close range and 200mm? I don't think I've ever noticed the prob with mine. But, now I'm curious.

7. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah I think this lens characteristically back (or front) focuses at close range within like 12 feet or so, and that it might even say that right in the manual. This would throw off focus tests. Try at a longer distance if you're at or near close focus in the focus tests and see if that changes anything.

8. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Before I traded my lense on here, i sent my 80-200mm in the factory for a few issues, and one being the 200mm center sharpness issue.. Past 180mm the lense wouldnt be as sharp in the center, anywhere else under 180 was so freaking sharp it was nuts.. you couldnt see the sharpness issue as much until you looked at 100 percent, most could be fixed in post.

I sent the lense to nikon stating problems.. Lense came back in a week with new focus ring, new focus selector ring, repaired auto focus, and some other stuff.. Center was a bit better but off enough to bug me.. To most people it wasnt a issue, but at minumum focus range it drove me nuts.. anything past 6-7 feet it would go away, i then started realizing with my style i liked getting closer.

I knew most of these issues before getting the lense.. You probably wont get around this issue either, if it bothers you as bad as it did me, send it back.. Try the 180mm 2.8 or 105mm VR

Its funny because the guy who now has my lense, it works better for him, very weird.. Must be a body to body tolerance kind of thing. the 80-200mm is a great lense dont get me wrong but like every lense, they all have a weakness.

My copy wasnt defective, it just was a design flaw.

9. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Strange stuff... So do you mean that the center is softer than the sides of the frame, or the whole thing is soft at 200mm? I noticed onthat mine at 200mm is pretty soft, but f4 and zoomed out, it's sharp as can be. Maybe the same design issue.

To address the above Qs, my lens is back-focusing at close range. Father out it seems fine, but that could be due to the increased DOF - so I'm not sure if the problem is limited to close-range or not. I'm going to swing by my local shop with the lens today, so we'll see what they have to say about it.

I'm not ready to give up on the 80-200 yet, though this is the 2nd time I've had one and the 2nd time it's backfocused (the earlier one was push-pull on my D50, which I sent back to KEH)...

Steve

10. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Only the center was soft on mine, seemed more of backfocusing, as parts of the ear were focused.. (aiming straight on to a face) The whole photo wasnt soft..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.