80-200 AF-S in need of some Cleaning?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by helmet155, Dec 12, 2005.

1. When I rotate the focus ring it doesn't sound as smooth as it should, is this something I need to send to Nikon to fix or is my lens just getting clapped and over-used?

This lens I mainly use for shooting motocross racing, and it's always dusty during races as you can imagine...This is my 2nd 80-200 AF-S lens and I sold the first one when it started to sound like this...

No squeaks, not even the gritty sand sound, just like some plastic on plastic sound when focussing...

I have a few races to shoot this month and hopefully a pro race next month so I'm also concerned about not having my lens to use for the races...

Any idea how much these are to clean at the Nikon facility? Would you trust your lens to be fixed and cleaned by an authorized repair facility other than Nikon corporate??

Thx

2. Well A I said yesterday you can just call Nikon service at 1-800-nikonSV and ask them about a cleaning of a lens.. It will take 7-10 business days for turnaround though...

Since you live down here in Los Angeles area they would send you to Nikon Service anyways...