80-200 AF-S lens hoos solution

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by senna, Jul 22, 2007.

1. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    For those of you looking for a nikon lens hood for the 80-200 AF-S witch originaly used a HB-17 hood. You can use the HB-29 from the 70-200 VR with one very small modifacation to the hood mounting ring on the lens. What I had to do was modify the ramp that the original hood used as a detent or latch to give resistence so hood was held in place. On the HB-29 they used an actual spring loaded latch so you have to very carefuly and oh so minutely grind away the ramp so it becomes a square edge for the sping loaded latch to catch on.

This is the actual modifucation.
    [​IMG]

This is the latch on the HB-29
    [​IMG]

And obviusly this is the hood on the lens
    [​IMG]

I used a Dremel tool with a .050 dia. tool. I looked through a manifing loop wile doing the grinding. Be very carefull and go slow you are remove very little material. You can always remove a little more but you can not put material back. if you have the tools and know how this barely a 5 min job including getting the tools together and puting them away. The hood can go on 180 deg apart i.e. thier are two ramps to modify if you like or if you only do one the hood will only mount in one location (clocking)

2. nakedtoes

nakedtoes Guest

possible to mod the HB-29 (hood for 70-200) to fit the AFD 80-200?

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
  4. I saw an HB-17 hood sell for $100 on ebay! The HB-29 sells for 30 bucks at B&H.

5. Two Flints

Two Flints

Oct 11, 2008
    MA & ME
    Another hood modification request

Hi Senna,

If you are the NikonCafe "resident expert" on Nikon hood modifications can you recommend a replacement for the HB-14 that is normally supplied with the Nikon 70-180mm macro?

Thanks,

Two Flints

6. nakedtoes

nakedtoes Guest

isst possible to glue the HB29 to the HB-7 mount for it to fit? I have a few spare HB-7 and is thinking of doing some mod

7. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Expert? no, just following the old adage, necessity is the mother of invention. Any way, I have no experience with HB-14
    If you have a HB-7 hood, why do you need to modify it?