80-200 AF-S ... repair or replace?

My venerable 80-200 AF-S f/2.8 choose my daughter's graduation ceremony as time to quit working. Expecting tight quarters and a big crowd, I had no other equipment with me.

Which leaves me wondering if it's worth (or even possible) to repair what I suspect is a failed SWM. It squeals like a piglet and doesn't focus beyond about 15 feet.

I could send it to Nikon, which I'm sure would cost a fortune, but would return a premium lens to it's prime.

I could go with a local, non-certified repair to save money at the expense of warrantee.

I could sell my daughter <jk> and get a 70-200 VRII.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. I'm heartbroken.

My venerable 80-200 AF-S f/2.8 choose my daughter's graduation ceremony as time to quit working. Expecting tight quarters and a big crowd, I had no other equipment with me.

Which leaves me wondering if it's worth (or even possible) to repair what I suspect is a failed SWM. It squeals like a piglet and doesn't focus beyond about 15 feet.

I could send it to Nikon, which I'm sure would cost a fortune, but would return a premium lens to it's prime.

I could go with a local, non-certified repair to save money at the expense of warrantee.

I could sell my daughter <jk> and get a 70-200 VRII.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. I'm heartbroken.

I would get it fixed...

Real Name
Bill Mellen
I just had a 6 year old 16-85 with similar problems fixed. Started with the NikonUsa website, filled out the form online which gave an immediate estimate. Total cost for the repair with packing and shipping on my end was ~ $285. I have a fully functional lens with new VR and AF for what I think is a reasonable price given the cost of replacement.

Thanks! Nice to hear of the reasonable priced service from NikonUSA. I'll certainly explore that option before I make a decision.

I will second the recommendations for APS as I had my 28-70/2.8 fixed by them. I would say APS and Nikon pricing is about equal, so pick whichever one you feel comfortable with. I never had any problems with Nikon in Melville and highly recommend them as well. I really like my 28-70 and would hate to use a 24-70 so I opted for repair. I am glad I did as it is like new again. If you are happy with your 80-200 and don't have any intentions of sell8ng it then it might be worth putting up to $500 into it.

I had my 15 year old 80-200 2r fixed by aps for about $300, works like new, include the a/m ring replacement.

Mine ended up with limiting focussing too, and in the end it was simply an internal flexible circuit board that had come unstuck. The SWM motor, which I understand is problematic on the 28-70 and 80-200 AF-S, was fine.

Mine ended up with limiting focussing too, and in the end it was simply an internal flexible circuit board that had come unstuck. The SWM motor, which I understand is problematic on the 28-70 and 80-200 AF-S, was fine.

You got off easy. My 28-70 just stopped working. It would only work for a couple minute after I put it on either body and stop focussing. I got a new SWM and a bunch of other parts. I'm happy I got my beast back, it was worth it. Hopefully I can get another 10 years out of it.:)

If you're happy with the 80-200 AF-S (I have one and I love it) then by all means get it fixed. In addition to Nikon and APS I've heard many good things about KEH service, but never used it myself. If you are looking for an excuse to get the 70-200 VR I'd still get it fixed because you'll get more than the cost of the repair back trying to sell the 80-200.

The f/2.8 is what I love ... lots of sports with my daughter's soccer and birds in flight. Need all the light I can get.

Lens is at a local repair shop right now and I should have an estimate by the end of the week. Seems like two things are going on - no idea if they're related. The SWM isn't S any more. And the lens won't focus either manually or automatically beyond about 25 feet.

I'll update when I know more.

Hi Pete,

About three years ago, mine got to the point where if you focused on something closer than about 30 feet, it would then fail to focus on something beyond 30 feet without doing it manually. In other words, it would focus in from infinity but not the opposite way.

I sent to Nikon (Melville) and now it works pretty much like a new one. (I bought it new.) It is my most-used lens in the spring and fall.

I'm glad I got it fixed, because I really didn't want to spend the money to get a 70-200.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. Mine seems different. I can't focus beyond 30 feet either manually or automatically. Almost seems like a circuit came loose and is blocking the lens. Should hear a quote within a day or so. Fingers crossed!

Hi Pete,

About three years ago, mine got to the point where if you focused on something closer than about 30 feet, it would then fail to focus on something beyond 30 feet without doing it manually. In other words, it would focus in from infinity but not the opposite way.

I sent to Nikon (Melville) and now it works pretty much like a new one. (I bought it new.) It is my most-used lens in the spring and fall.

I'm glad I got it fixed, because I really didn't want to spend the money to get a 70-200.

Hope this helps.

Andy

If you dont mind Andy what did it cost to get it fixed. My 70-200 VR1 has the same issue.

Hey Jeff,

Without being home to look at the repair invoice, I think it was in the $400-$500 range.

The funny thing is this. I've also had to have a 28-70 and a D3s body fixed, and they've all been $400-$600. Mind you, I'm not complaining too much. I had a knot in my stomach about the camera body until I found out they could fix it (got caught in a thunderstorm and got it much, much too wet).

Hope this helps.

Andy

Yeah ... good news!

Inspection found that the focus scale bracket came loose and is blocking the movement. No SWM problem. Clean, repair, reset and and test for $245.

Latest threads

Top Bottom