1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

80-200 AF-S

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by helmet155, Jul 26, 2005.

1. I think I found her, new in box for under $800!!

I'll have more to report tomorrow if the deal goes down...

This will be used for sports (mx and surfing) although it's a little short for suring and also some wildlife - I've been trying to lure the local hummers into my realm for some shots!

We'll see what happens but I'm pretty stoked right now!

-Brett

2. It's here!

I thought $750 for a mint 80-200 AF-S was a good deal...

Now all I need is the weekend so I can start shooting!

3. Nope, not a GOOD deal at all, that is a FANTASTIC deal for an AF-S. I sold mine for a good bit more than that 2 months ago, and I was the 2nd owner, I bought it from a pro sports-shooter in Florida. Great buy, it is a great lens.

4. Brett, I agree with Bill. I bought the 80-200 AF (not AFS) 2nd hand for $500. I love it but wish now for the AF-S. So either the 80-200 or the 70-200.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Kevin, go for the 70-200VR. It is indeed an amazing lens.

6. I would have gone with the 70-200 VR if I felt I needed VR, maybe when they come down in price I will have some VR lenses (used I guess).

After testing both I bought the 80-200...but the 70-200 is a lot nicer ergonomically...

7. I paid $975 for mine, used it for two years, and didn't lose much. When you are ready to move to the 70-200, you won't lose much at the price you paid either. A darned good investment in my opinion. The main difference I see with the 70-200 is that it "feels" much lighter. I think that is both a factor of the weight difference as well as it being a bit narrower. As to the VR, it hasn't been much of a factor yet, but we'll be shooting off a boat, Orca Whales, next month and I will have a better feel after that trip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.