80-200 AF-S

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by helmet155, Jul 26, 2005.

1. I think I found her, new in box for under $800!!

I'll have more to report tomorrow if the deal goes down...

This will be used for sports (mx and surfing) although it's a little short for suring and also some wildlife - I've been trying to lure the local hummers into my realm for some shots!

We'll see what happens but I'm pretty stoked right now!

-Brett

2. It's here!

I thought $750 for a mint 80-200 AF-S was a good deal...

Now all I need is the weekend so I can start shooting!

3. Nope, not a GOOD deal at all, that is a FANTASTIC deal for an AF-S. I sold mine for a good bit more than that 2 months ago, and I was the 2nd owner, I bought it from a pro sports-shooter in Florida. Great buy, it is a great lens.

4. Brett, I agree with Bill. I bought the 80-200 AF (not AFS) 2nd hand for $500. I love it but wish now for the AF-S. So either the 80-200 or the 70-200.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Kevin, go for the 70-200VR. It is indeed an amazing lens.

6. I would have gone with the 70-200 VR if I felt I needed VR, maybe when they come down in price I will have some VR lenses (used I guess).

After testing both I bought the 80-200...but the 70-200 is a lot nicer ergonomically...

7. I paid $975 for mine, used it for two years, and didn't lose much. When you are ready to move to the 70-200, you won't lose much at the price you paid either. A darned good investment in my opinion. The main difference I see with the 70-200 is that it "feels" much lighter. I think that is both a factor of the weight difference as well as it being a bit narrower. As to the VR, it hasn't been much of a factor yet, but we'll be shooting off a boat, Orca Whales, next month and I will have a better feel after that trip.