80-200 AFS or AFD?

I need some help. I am trying to determine which 80-200 f2.8 to get. I have scoured this website and others, and I still have the same questions. I may have acquired "paralysis by analysis".

I will be using it on a D300 (with the added grip), and my initial use will be college football (from the sidelines). I am not a pro shooter.

The 70-200 VR is out of my price range (for now) and I understand that the AFS version of the 80-200 focuses a little faster and has the focus lock buttons (which I'm not sure I will use).

If anyone has used both of the lenses to shoot fast action sports or birds in flight, I would love to hear about your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks!

Either of these lens' will probably be just fine. The AFS will obviously focus faster and if you are doing college football from the sidelines I would imagine your "keeper" rate with the AFS would be better. Don't believe IQ is much if any different and both are really good lens". Based on what you intend to shoot and if you can afford the extra $$, I think going with the AFS would be the ticket.

Ron

I need some help. I am trying to determine which 80-200 f2.8 to get. I have scoured this website and others, and I still have the same questions. I may have acquired "paralysis by analysis".

I will be using it on a D300 (with the added grip), and my initial use will be college football (from the sidelines). I am not a pro shooter.

The 70-200 VR is out of my price range (for now) and I understand that the AFS version of the 80-200 focuses a little faster and has the focus lock buttons (which I'm not sure I will use).

If anyone has used both of the lenses to shoot fast action sports or birds in flight, I would love to hear about your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks!

I've only used the "D" version of this lens. It's recommended as being less prone to malfunction.
I shoot baseball
2572125360_bcdd3e95f6_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BIF
2561138646_c4ffb53933_b.jpg

2569978661_433ea712d6_b.jpg

Still Birds
2579591706_20b472177a_b.jpg

Pets
2532579184_77aa5bef33_b.jpg

And I'm thrilled with it. I usually shoot at less than 1/1250s so I don't need the VR. For extended use (Like a baseball game) I often use a monopod, just to support the weight. Hope this helps, Fred

Thanks Gretchen.

Have you used both and if so, how noticeable is the difference in focus speed?

Thanks Ron.

I'll ask you the same question I asked Gretchen. Have you used both and is the difference in focus speed noticable?

I use the AF-D version...I find it focuses fast enough for everything I use it for.

Football
falcons_tc027.jpg

Baseball
072608rome_br002.jpg

072608rome_br000.jpg

And Animals...
gh_lunch6_cr.jpg

The AF-S version is a big bigger and heavier than the AF-D version. I like the compactness of the AF-D as I can normally get it into most pro venues without any issues. Also, the used prices of the AF-S now are upwards to $1200, and the AF-D is normally right around $650-800 depending on the quality. That might weigh in on your decision too. Either way, both are great lenses!

Thanks Dave.

Price is definitley part of the picture. I'm trying to see if the AFS features are worth the extra money. Captures like those make it hard to argue for spending an extra 3 to 4 hundy. I've already ruled out needing the VR as I will be on a monopod, so it's coming down to focus speed, and it looks like that is less of an issue than it sounds like.

Those are great shots and just the kind of thing I am looking to do -

assuming I have the talent -

someday....

Speed of focus will really become an issue when the light is not enough. That is when the AF-S helps. If you won't be shooting in iffy lighting conditions, then AF-D maybe the optimal solution.

Darn this forum....the long end is where I have NO glass.....

Now I have to save my pennies for this one. I won't ever need the VR, since the long shots won't happen indoors or at night, so it shouldn't take me nearly as long to save up, LOL!

i was in this same predicament at the begining of this year and i ended up going with the AF-D and am very happy with it. i have shot a little bit of sports. mostly cars though and it works great. focus speed is more than enough.

The D version: sharp, nice bokeh & fast enough (especially for outdoor sports)!
2734293436_63f8d521d5.png

Yes, I have shot with both of these. While I agree with a lot of the posts here, the AF-D does a great job, but for what you want to shoot I would go with the AF-S version. Big difference in focus speed? Maybe not huge, but there is a difference--that's why it has an AF-S motor--if you are going to shoot action and want to give yourself the best chance of getting the shot, go with the fastest focus lens. For what you are doing I don't think VR is a big deal but the fastest focus speed on a good lens is--get the AF-S.

Ron

I have not owned the AF-D version, but I know the focus speed difference between my AF-S lenses (80-200, 28-70, 300/4) and my D lenses (35, 50, 85). To me, it's a rather noticable difference and if I were shooting sports, I'd want the AF-S.

Awesome info folks - much appreciated - now the problem becomes actually finding one or the other :eek:

I like my 80-200mm, however, I lust for the 70-200.

Here are few with the AFD & x1.4

340815327_38K5S-L.jpg

340815164_eyxVe-L.jpg

Have had both (two AFD's and one AFS). AFD...great lens, easier to handle (subjective), fast enough AF on powerful bodies for many applications, some focus issues at close range (AF only...Nikon documented), noticably slower to focus. AFS...sharper from f2.8 to f4, much better with tc's, smoother MF operation. Enough of a quality difference to be worth the extra cost? For me...yes...for you...? As it is with all equipment...consider your application and needs, not what everyone else tells you to get...that includes me :).

There's an 80-200 AF-S for sale in the For Sale Forum right now. It looks like you'll need a few more posts and perhaps a little more time on the forum before it opens up to you though. Keep posting and then get over there!

Latest threads

Top Bottom