80-200 F2.8 D MACRO ED, Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jon Neely, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
  2. powaq

powaq

May 2, 2008
    Belgium
    AF is very slow. Other than that, it's great.

3. headgear

headgear

Apr 6, 2007
    Minnesota
    Went through the same decision process over a year ago. After much deliberation bought the 70-300 AFS VR. For what I use the lens for it wasa the right decision. The 70-300 AFS is not overly heavy, economical, has fast AF, VR works great, and in good lighting has very good IQ. Plus you get a 5 year warranty with the 70-300AFS. You give up of course the faster aperature of the 80-200 and the 80-200 is no slouch in the IQ department. I will probably add a 80-200 or 70-200 to my kit in the future to go along with the 70-300. Good luck with your decision.

4. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    well I will be doing mostly weddings and fashion (models posing on location) should I be looking at something more on the edge of 18-200 vr?

Jon

5. powaq

powaq

May 2, 2008
    Belgium
    Get a 35-70 or 28-70 for that stuff on DX.

I'd forget about the 18-200 it's overhyped and optically totally uncomparable to the 2.8 zooms.

6. I have that lens on a D80. The slow focus claims are a little overstated IMHO. It focuses plenty fast to follow action from any reasonable distance. If you are doing weddings and fashion, it's not even an issue obviously.

It's a sharp lens and the bokeh is very sweet.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

classic nikon glass...a good sample is "all that"...it's a big heavy sucker though...;-)

8. That is the next lens I plan on getting. Its big, but I love the feel of it. I don't think it focuses all that slow personally however, you do feel the AF torque which I can see can be slightly bothersome for some people.

9. I would go for the 80-200 f2.8......a better lens that the others mentioned.

10. I had the newer "two ring" version of the lens. It focused fast on my D2h, D2x, and my D3. So, I'm not sure how it will focus on your body. However, that being said, the lens is sharp. IMO, image quality meets or even exceeds (wide open) the 70-200 VR I have right now. The 70-200 is killer sharp, but the 80-200 is just THAT GOOD. Great lens for the money.

11. 80-200

I have a question: Is the AIS the same as the AFS? I am seriously considering looking for a copy of this lens and need some clarification on the auto-focus designation. Which version is recommended? I will be using it for portraits, possibly weddings etc. and shooting some wildlife, pets, etc.

12. powaq

powaq

May 2, 2008
    Belgium
    AIS = manual focus
    AF = Auto focus
    AF-S = Auto focus with silent wave motor
    AF-I = predecessor of AF-S

13. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    Im using the D2x, so I think I should be good, well I dont really use AF a whole lot, so I guess I have made my mind up, so that next on my list!

Jon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.