80-200 F2.8 push/pull

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, May 23, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    If it can be had for a decent price...are there any disadvantages to this version vs. the two-ring model? I know the AF-S is leaps and bounds better, but I'm trying to get some decent glass on a smaller budget.

2. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Excuse my lack of knowledge. I just curious what "Push/Pull" refers to, seen it alot but can figure it out. Does it mean that it extend and retract when zooming?

Cheers,
    Daniel

3. It means that the zoom control is literally a thing that you push or pull backwards or forwards, rather than being a ring that you turn. There is considerable noise in the system about push-pull lenses "sucking dust in like a vaccuum cleaner" but this is entirely an urban legend. The lens elements still move the same way regardless of how the user controls it. Most zoom lenses in the MF era were push-pull, and some of the legends of the AF period are too. The 35-70/f2.8 AFD is the most notable example.

One nice thing about 1-ring designs (which are inherently push-pull) is that they can display DOF scales on the lens easily. Two-ring designs don't have a convenient way to express this, which is one big reason that they're left off most modern zooms.

4. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

The one-ring version of this lens is very sharp wide open, and focus is reasonably good on my D70. The one thing that I can't stand sometimes is the CA that shows up when I shoot sports (my college's teams wear all-white uniforms for the most part). It's very well built and some people like the push-pull zooming over using a ring.

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    How wise is it to have the weight of the 80-200 hanging off the front of the camera? Are there no 3rd party weird-looking contraptions to support the lens?

6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I had serious focus issues with my 80-200mm AF-D on my D70. The Sigma 70-200mm HSM worked out much better.

7. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    How does the Sigma compare to the Nikon sharpness wise?

8. They are widely reported to be very similar in sharpness.

9. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    My AF-S version is insanely sharp. I've never used the D versions so I can't compare. If they're anywhere near as sharp as mine you'll be happy.

10. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

I had the opposite experience. The 80-200mm AF-D works great on my D70, but I bought a Sigma 70-200mm HSM non-DG that back-focused horribly.

11. Iconel

Iconel Guest

I've been using a push/pull version for a number of years. I really have no complaints about it. It has been reliable, sharp and has great ergonmics. It would be nice if it were able to focus faster. I've never had any issues with the lack of tripod collar in the style of shooting I do. If you can find one for cheap, I don't really see any downsides to going with this lens.

12. I've owned the push-pull version, the two-ring version, and now the 70-200 - so I can speak from a bit of experience.

The push-pull version is just as sharp as the two-ring version or the 70-200. I never had any CA problems with my lens, although that could be due to sample variation...I'm not sure. I've used the push-pull version with a D70 and a D200 with equal success. So, if you can score one cheaply, it's a good buy.

HOWEVER...the push-pull version is a bit slower to focus. That fact alone might be enough to scare someone off from a purchase. This really comes into play when shooting sports or other fast-action shooting. Also, the lack of a tripod mount is inconvenient. I've seen gizmos that suposedly compensated for this missing element, but have never personally tried any of them. I'm sure they have their value, but I can't attest to their exact usefulness.

The push-pull version can be mounted and carried on a D70 with no concerns for the harm to the camera's mounting plate. I've carried this lens (mounted to the D70) for 14 consecutive hours while shooting an outdoor music festival - and had no problems...other than a sore neck.

So, basically, if you're not going to shoot sports or birds in flight...or you don't need a tripod...the lens can be a great value.