80-200 f2.8 with cracked A/M switch

I see I have the common problem developing with the plastic switch ring. Anybody had it fixed and is the fix a more durable item?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My 80-200 two ring came with the A/M switch broken ... the seller and I agreed to split the cost and Nikon repaired it for, if I remember correctly, a bit less that $200. But that also including cleaning and aligning the lens. It has worked as new ever since.

The A/M switch ring finally broke on my 80-200 lens at the beginning of last week. Got the estimate from Melville today and it is $224 to get it fixed. With shipping and tax the total is $247.70. I thought this would be helpful to anyone who is facing similar circumstances and would like to know the cost of getting it fixed.

If it's the ring that goes around the circumference of the lens, attached with one screw, it's the same style as the AM ring on the 200mm f4 Micro --- I paid $225 to have mine replaced a few years ago.

The ring first shows a stress line at the screw, and then eventually breaks.

Nikon made the ring too large --- too large a circumference, so it doesn't lie flat against the lens --- so it is essentially unsupported. When there is pressure on the ring, it will flex several thousandths, and the flex point is at the screw, thus the stress line and eventual break. Breakage has little to do with how often the ring is used (I virtually never used my AM ring) -- just pressure on the ring, particularly opposite the screw, does the dirty job.

Anybody buying a 200 micro or AF 80-200 2 ring, should examine the AM ring for the stress point. If the stress line is there, it WILL break.

I always thought that is one Nikon engineering goof that the company should fix free of charge. Good luck . . .

BTW, Superglue is useful if you want it always A or always M, or always half way between.:redface:

Mine was cracked also when I had this lens some years ago. It also would not click into place in the "A" position.
Put a piece of solid duct tape over it and forgot about it.

Mine was cracked also when I had this lens some years ago. It also would not click into place in the "A" position.
Put a piece of solid duct tape over it and forgot about it.
Wonder if a strip of gaffers tape would keep it from breaking in the 1st place. I can easily live without manual focus on it.
That way if I ever decide to sell it. Simply pull off the gaffer tape to reveal the mint condition M/A ring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does anyone know if the replacement ring is of improved quality. I don't want to have it replaced with like for like and have it crack again in a few years time.

In my case, the ring appears to have been manufactured slightly smaller in circumference --- no flexing under pressure, thus no stress on the ring at the attachment point.

IOW, designed in the way it should have been in the first place.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom