80-200 goes to the beach

Here are my first "real" shots from my new used 80-200 f/2.8, Overall I'm satisfied from the IQ. It was a sunny day and no tripod was needed.
I adjusted the color curve a bit and resized.
I think I have a sharp enough copy, what do you think?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not very good. Windsurfer has purple fringe. First two are soft. Now I know not to buy one and stay with primes

The shots look OK to me. The mast on the windsurfer is blue and I don't see any fringing either. Primes are good so is the 80-200.

Nice shots. If you look close at the first two there are some sharp areas, it's a depth of field thing and not a softness issue - I think.

The windsurfer is my favorite.

I think they look great. Photos have a lot of punch to em.
Thanks Steve :smile: This is what I was hoping for.

Beautiful shots. :biggrin:
Thankyou so much Robert.

Looking good.
Hey John, glad you liked them, I was a bit afraid of the result cos I bought the lens without really testing it.

Not very good. Windsurfer has purple fringe. First two are soft. Now I know not to buy one and stay with primes
About the first 2, I think Bill's reply describes them very well.
About the purple fringing, please let me know where you see it.

The shots look OK to me. The mast on the windsurfer is blue and I don't see any fringing either. Primes are good so is the 80-200.
The mast is indeed blue :smile: Thanks Keith.

lol....where did you come from?
lol Vinny :biggrin:

agree. Where do these guys come from:confused:.

I think your pics are very nice. Shooting at such a distance with 200 at the long end is always going to be tough.

Mike
Thanks Mike, you're right; I was trying to use the maximum FL and wide open in order th check the performance of the lens.

Nice shots. If you look close at the first two there are some sharp areas, it's a depth of field thing and not a softness issue - I think.

The windsurfer is my favorite.
Spot on!! Thanks Bill :smile:

Most people won't notice. Of course there is better image quality with primes, but primes don't offer the flexibility of a zoom. I'm not saying zooms are better than primes. They both have there weakness.

First two don't do a thing for me. The other ones are nice.
I must admit I was experimenting with the first two, trying out the AF speed :smile:

Most people won't notice. Of course there is better image quality with primes, but primes don't offer the flexibility of a zoom. I'm not saying zooms are better than primes. They both have there weakness.
You are right, primes are great IQ-wise but not as flexible as zooms, furthermore around here it's hard to find good primes, so I'll have to get by with what I find untill the next time I can get lenses from abroad.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom