80-200 gone

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Well KEH let me down and couldn't / didn't overnight my SECOND replacement lens. My lens lust for an 80-200 has been soured. I've asked for a refund at this point.

I'm going to stick with dealing just on the For Sale forum from now on for getting new lenses. Atleast I can talk one on one with the actual owner of the lens.

Should I keep trying for another 80-200 or go for a 180mm F2.8 now?

2. You have a lot more security dealing with KEH than with an individual. They have a return policy and a very good reputation. I don't know what you just dealt with, so perhaps your experience was not so good. I buy a lot of gear from individuals and while I've had exceptional luck, there is always a higher risk than with an established business.
    As far as your lens choice...I'm not sure how anyone can help you with that decision as we (or at least I) have no idea what your style is or what subject matter you intend upon shooting. Can you give us some more insight into that?

3. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    maybe off the subject a little.
    where is this for sale forum ??

4. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Frank

You have to make 25 posts and be here 30 days before the For Sale forum shows up. Also the posts have to be real posts, not just post count pumpers. Once you meet the requirements, the forum will show up just below lens lust.

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    ok thanks cope....

6. I'd have to agree with jbear, dealing with a reputable dealer would give you a lot more security, especially if something goes wrong. It's funny, but this is the first time I have heard anything bad about KEH. I would have given them another chance, but thats just me and I don't know the problems you had with them....

7. The 180mm F2.8 AFD is a real winner. You can shoot headshots at F2.8 and they look super.

8. I suggest

you try out the 180 before making a purchase.

9. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    i'd say 80% of the shots I take with my 70-210 are taken beyond 150mm. So the 180mm should be a nice fit. The 180's are popping up all over the place recently so it shouldn't be too difficult to source one.

10. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Lots of us out there with both the 180 and the 80-200. The 180 is so good and has it's own look I can't ever seeing myself parting with it!

11. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Interesting...180 + 80-200... Seems like redundancy at first.

12. I had the 80-200 and loved it. Don't let the KEH experience sour you on it. I bought mine used on one of the forums. The 180 is a sweet lens and definitely has a place along side a 70/80-200. Great IQ, nice and compact. If I don't absolutely need the ability to zoom and will have decent light, it's the one I reach for more often.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.