80-200 Image and Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by gbenic, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I have the opportunity to purchase a used 80-200 AF 2.8 ED lens in good condition. I took some sample images at the store. The pictures were taken at f2.8 with a flash. To get the depth of field "normal", what should I have set the aperture at? Also, the skin tones are different than my kit lens, is this normal. Here is a re-sampled crop. Does it look okay? Also, what would a fair price be.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. The picture looks pretty sharp to me.

To increase DOF you need to stop down a bit, which shouldn't be a problem using flash. I'm no expert, but my impression is that most lenses are sharpest at about f/8. Of course the DOF continues to increase as you decrease the aperture.

I can't help you with the colors or price.

3. Hi Greg, like Pa said, stop down a bit to get more depth of field, but personally, I like this as is. It sure seems sharp to me, though it's sometimes difficult to tell on the web. It's hard to comment on the skin tone rendition since we can't see his real skintone to compare to but it seems fine to me.

Is this the 2-ring zoom? I bought my 2-ring used from KEH in Atlanta around Christmas. It was rated Excellent and I paid $500 for mine. When I received it, it was spotless! It takes beautiful shots, even wide open. It only gets better stopped down a little. A great piece of glass.

I still snoop around eBay and other places to see what they sell for (in case I ever sell mine and upgrade to a 70-200) and they seem to go for around $600 for the 2 ring version, less for the push-pull version.

4. Thanks for the replies. To stop it down I assume that means shooting in Aperture Priority (or Manual) and selecting the aperture I want.

If you mean push and pull to zoom instead of twist, then it is the push-pull. There is a narrow ring at the outer edge of the lens that kinda lifts, twists, and locks. Can anyone tell me what that is used for?

Thanks again.

5. Yes, and go for a large-number f-stop, which means small aperture. You can use the depth-of-field preview button (on the front of the camera, lower right side of the lens) to get an idea of the DOF before snapping the picture. Of course at f/22, what you see will be pretty dark!

6. Thanks again. I am picking up the lens tomorrow morning. I am so excited! It will be my first "real" lens! I can't wait!