1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

80-200 or 70-200

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by micsavoie, Apr 1, 2007.

1. micsavoie

micsavoie

Mar 14, 2006
    Canada
    I need to get a 2.8 lens.

Considering both lens, which one should I get? Is the 70-200 really worth the money?

The problem is, I do have the money to get the 70-200mm but if I get that lens... I will not be able to get the 17-55.

Should I get the 70-200 and forget about the 17-55 for now? What should I do? Thanks for your input.

2. I have the 17-55 and the 80-200 D.
    The 17-55 is an awesome lens. I also love my 80-200, despite it's old design.
    The two compliment each other, so it's difficult to advise anyone on what to buy - they serve different needs. Sit down and think what you need the lenses for, and buy based on your needs.

The 17-55 is almost permanently on my camera, with the 80-200 filing in for longer reach. I think it's not a question of which one you need, but a question of which one to buy first, and then it's up to your needs.

The 80-200 will give you slower autofocus, and lacks VR. If you can live with it, that may be a cheaper alternative. It now costs half of what I payed for it several years ago. The 80-200 is not compatible with newer bodies like the D40, and we may see in future more bodies that only support AF-S. Teleconverter is also an issue with 80-200: Nikon makes an AF-S converter, so I went for a Kenko. AF is very slow with the converter.

There is another alternative, and that is a second-hand AFS-80-200; if you can find it. Nikon stopped making it by about 2004, and it has the newer focus, lacking only VR. At this stage I have buyer's remorse that I never went for that one.

On the other hand, if VR and AF-S are important, the only choice is to go for the 70-200. It seems to be an awesome lens.

3. micsavoie

micsavoie

Mar 14, 2006
    Canada
    Thanks a lot Willem! Great input!

4. Between the 17-55 and the 70(or 80)-200, there is only one question that you need to answer. The rest will follow.

Which focal length do you need the most?

It would make no sense to sink say $1500 in a lens used only rarely, when that exact purchase deprived you of a "bread-and-butter" lens that you'd use nearly all the time! Then again, you and your subjects may favor a longer focal...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.