80-200 push/pull

I've found what seems to be a pretty good deal on one of these...it's not optimal as I was hoping for a two ring version but it'll do until I can find one of those.

Just hoping to get some insight from fellow Cafe members as to whether or not it's a good lens and how the auto focus handles sports.

What body will you be using? It's not real fast on a D200. I wouldn't want to use it for fast-paced sports. The color rendition and bokeh are very nice. There have been some threads on sharpness discrepancies.
I like the push/pull except for the balance on a tripod.

I have one too on a D3 & D300....it is sharp & fine .....a little slower than the newest lens ....but alot less $$$$ mine cost me $415.00 shipped from a guy on FM site

What body will you be using? It's not real fast on a D200. I wouldn't want to use it for fast-paced sports. The color rendition and bokeh are very nice. There have been some threads on sharpness discrepancies.
I like the push/pull except for the balance on a tripod.
I'd be using a D200 actually. I won't be shooting a lot of sports so it still might be a good fit.

I have one too on a D3 & D300....it is sharp & fine .....a little slower than the newest lens ....but alot less $$$$ mine cost me $415.00 shipped from a guy on FM site
I agree. Seems like they're pretty decent deals.

Depends

I have a good friend of mine who had one and I tried it - on the D2Hs it focuses really fast - on his D200 is was a bit slower and the image quality is superb a few old examples... Screw drive focus - That old AF thing :wink:

A superb optic :biggrin: Real sharp at 2.8 or f4... and real fast on a pro-body but slower on other cameras...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 221502

View attachment 221503

View attachment 221504

View attachment 221505

80-200 push pull

I owned one of these and used it to shoot sports on a D200 and found for me, it was too slow, for anything else it was fine. All copied of this lens are tack sharp, the one thing I would of liked and is only available on the two ring versions is a tripod collar. Eventually I got rid of my D200 and replaced it with a D2H and replaced my push pull with the far more expensive 70-200VR. I have nothing but good things to say about this lens, if you can get one cheap go for it!

Thanks, Dude, for the samples. Great looking bokeh. I just may have to call the lady back who is selling it and have her hold it for me.

Thanks, Dude, for the samples. Great looking bokeh. I just may have to call the lady back who is selling it and have her hold it for me.
Justin,

It is an excellent lens and my friend who had one until he bought a 70-200/2.8 VR (Had his for 2 years) Inam, he used to manually focus it with his D200, he was real fast with it to do street photography and he had excellent results - I imagine for sports - with a D2 type body the AF is fast enough but with the D200 - you may want to try manually focusing it - you'll get better with time.

I am starting to get better at manually focusing and real fast at it as well.

hey i just did the same!! i was lookin for the 2 ring but ended up with the push/pull. Only had it for 2 days but optics are great!!! i think the focus is very fast on my d300. if there is any negative is that tripod collar. i though i can get away with hand holding this lens but i think a d300 with sb600 on top and this lens is HEAVY!! my mom picked it up and she had trouble with it even for 1 shot(she is a p&s person). I can hold it if i need to but gotta say i would rather not for too long!!.

Get the lens. 420 is a steal for this lens!!!

I got one on a D200. Very slow lens in the focus dept. Well MB not to slow, I used on the river when I was a white water photog. As far as a lack of a tripod collar, i picked up an old Kirk bracket for it. You may be able to find one a eBay, thats where I got mine. I would post a pic for ya, but I took the bracket a part to make a flash bracket. Really its a great lens. You should be very happy with it.

Here look at this,,, you know you want one,,

http://www.kirkphoto.com/lenscollars.html#NCP80

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked it up from the lady.

I was surprised by the push/pull mechanism...very smooth and actually very intuitive for someone coming from only a twist zoom background. The focus wasn't horrendously slow on the D70 she had that I tried. I think I'll be pretty happy with it.

Justin,
I think you will like it. I enjoyed my 2 ring version when I had it and the push pull supposedly has better IQ.

Nice!

-Jason

I use mine for swimming and there are no focus speed issues on a D80. Perhaps photographing a 100M runner from the front would be a bit different. I'll post some photos later on...this lens really kicks some butt! I generally just set it at f4 and forget about it.

Here's a few quickies...

D80 ISO 200 F4

135mm

200mm

It´s a great lens and i sometimes regret selling it ( especcially as I would like to have it for a wedding next week ).
But I sold it after using it in the rain for 2 hours a couple of years a go, it just pumped moisture in to the camera, and i filled it self with moisture as well.
I got a Sigma 100-300/4 wich has seen a lot of rain and I have not had the same problems with that, or the 120/300/2,8.

So, stay out of the rain, and don´t try to focus to close ( see the cameras manual ) and you will be very happy!

Does anyone here suffer from backfocus with this lens? I bought it recently for D70 and I think I'm suffering from some backfocus at 200mm f/2.8. I havn't done thorough testing but there's a softness which seems to be a focus issue.

I was just wondering because the internet seems to be quite populated with reports of a similar issue with this lens. I'm not sure if it's just the combination of having the 80-200 push/pull WITH D70.

I would like to hear if anyone has experienced such problem here and if it can be avoided somehow?

Well, if this happens at close range, you should take a look at your cameras manual ( along with a lot of others ).
The 80-200 ( and some other lenses ) do have problems at close range with "all" AF-cameras, and it´s clearly explained in the camera manual.

Hi nuteshack, I like your stuff in your flickr galleries.

I don't think it's a shutter speed problem because I've used it in almost direct sunlight. I'll do further testing and report back.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom