80-200mm 2.8 Repair Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by snegron, Aug 5, 2007.

1. snegron

snegron

Jul 29, 2007
    SW Florida
    I just got my 80-200mm 2.8 AF-D (the non-S version) back from Nikon. I sent it to have the manual focus/autofocus selector switch repaired.

Problem is that I noticed now that there are several specs of dust on the inside of the lens elements and the front glass element feels loose. I remember this lens feeling rock solid when I sent it to Nikon, but now it doesn't feel as solid. When move the lens up or down I can hear the front lens element moving around.

The lens autofocuses well, locks much better than before in AF or MF, and zooms well, but these two things are annoying (the dust and the wobbly element).

Has this happened to anyone here before? Is this what this lens is supposed to sound like? I really can't remember that noise being there before I sent it to Nikon. The lens is working well. Would it be worth it to send it back to Nikon?

2. Arif

Arif Guest

Hi Sandy,
    My personal feeling is that if dust is visible, then it will also be in non-visible places and that sooner or later you will have issues. I would take it back and save yourself sometime PS out specs.

3. snegron

snegron

Jul 29, 2007
    SW Florida
    Thanks Arif. I have been giving it some thought and I think I'm going to send it back.

4. I agree that you need to send it back.

Was this repair covered under warranty? What was their turn around time?

5. snegron

snegron

Jul 29, 2007
    SW Florida
    I just spoke with a person at the Nikon Repair where I had my lens repaired. He advised me to pack it up and ship it back to them. He also told me that he would be emailing me a prepaid UPS label as well. So, I guess it's off to the repair shop again :frown:

On the flip side, just got a 300mm 4.0 AF-S! :smile: Weather permitting I can't wait to go out and shoot a few eagles in a nearby nest!