80-400 AFS or 300 f4 with TC-14 II 1.4x

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wow! I'd say that is certainly MORE than acceptable! Well done! Although in these two examples, I'd have to give the edge to the 300/f4.

I'm hoping to do an African safari next year using the 80-400....but I only own the D800.... Surely we will have a D300 replacement by then! (I wish this wasn't a joke!)

Karen, the 800 will probably work better....Colin and Leon's work, among others, will certainly vouch for that.

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the 80-400 and should receive it tomorrow. With back surgery coming up I hope that I'll be able to lug it around after I recover. Maybe a cotton carrier and a small backpack for the lens would help. We'll see. Ariel777 - beautiful picture; really enjoyed looking at it.

Congrats, John. Enjoy, which I'm sure you will. If you do get a cotton carrier or similar device, please post your assessment, as I have a weak lower back and need some support on anything other than a very short trek.

ariel777 - I'll let you know how I like it if I get the cotton carrier. I'm seriously leaning that way (no pun intended) in an effort to try to balance the weight a little better. I'm thinking that I can tote the camera and my 24-70 with the carrier and carry the 80-400 and tripod in a small back pack that I have. I got the idea of trying out the cotton carrier last March after we went to Rickets Glen to shoot waterfalls. I was carrying a D800, 24-70, 17-35 (didn't need it), 80-200 (really didn't need it), and my tripod and the backpack got pretty heavy pretty fast. Once I put the camera on the strap and carried it around my neck, the weight was distributed a little better and the hike got more tolerable. The downside was that the camera kind of flopped around with the lens sticking out while I negotiated the trails. I think that the carrier would take care of that issue. Since my surgery is at the end of March I probably won't have anything to report until some time in June or early July.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
For those
ariel777 - I'll let you know how I like it if I get the cotton carrier. I'm seriously leaning that way (no pun intended) in an effort to try to balance the weight a little better. I'm thinking that I can tote the camera and my 24-70 with the carrier and carry the 80-400 and tripod in a small back pack that I have. I got the idea of trying out the cotton carrier last March after we went to Rickets Glen to shoot waterfalls. I was carrying a D800, 24-70, 17-35 (didn't need it), 80-200 (really didn't need it), and my tripod and the backpack got pretty heavy pretty fast. Once I put the camera on the strap and carried it around my neck, the weight was distributed a little better and the hike got more tolerable. The downside was that the camera kind of flopped around with the lens sticking out while I negotiated the trails. I think that the carrier would take care of that issue. Since my surgery is at the end of March I probably won't have anything to report until some time in June or early July.

The neoprene straps really help. In addition to a neoprene strap, I use this when hiking....and I think I'll try it when I start biking. It prevents the camera from moving around. Even if the hole isn't large enough for your lens to go through, it might still stabilize the lens enough if it keeps the camera/lens against your body.

For those

The neoprene straps really help. In addition to a neoprene strap, I use this when hiking....and I think I'll try it when I start biking. It prevents the camera from moving around. Even if the hole isn't large enough for your lens to go through, it might still stabilize the lens enough if it keeps the camera/lens against your body.
Thanks Carol--I do a lot of hiking & biking and this may be the thing for me.

JT

Real Name
Randy
Congrats, John. Enjoy, which I'm sure you will. If you do get a cotton carrier or similar device, please post your assessment, as I have a weak lower back and need some support on anything other than a very short trek.

I use a cotton carrier when climbing on rocks where I need both hands free.....I like it

Real Name
Colin Carter
Wow! I'd say that is certainly MORE than acceptable! Well done! Although in these two examples, I'd have to give the edge to the 300/f4.

I'm hoping to do an African safari next year using the 80-400....but I only own the D800.... Surely we will have a D300 replacement by then! (I wish this wasn't a joke!)

Just take the D800, it will be perfect, superb IQ, amazing Dynamic Range and excellent iso. it has plenty of latitude for cropping if you need to. you might actually find that most of the animals are closed than you think, unless you want to shoot birds then the 80-400 might not be enough even with a 1.5 DX body.

i cant see there been a D300 successor now unfortunately (i hope im wrong).

I would rather take the D800 to any scenario / location / event than the D7100.

Latest threads

Top Bottom