80-400 Carryng Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dkabat, Aug 15, 2005.

1. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    Just got this lens and like it a lot so far. For my shooting the auto-focus is just fine. Question though - will it hurt the camera body by leaving the lens on and carrying it around or do I need some type of special support so as not to damage the body (d70).

Thanks
    Dan

2. I have had the lens for several months now and having rheumatoid arthritus my hands are not too flexible so I just carry it under my arm until I need to focus and shoot. Hasn't harmed it yet.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Irene,

I just support mine a bit when walking, mostly to take the weight off my neck to be more comfortable walking.. Have caried it since January.

I am using a D100. Don't know if that makes a difference.

But what ever lens I have on the camera i just support the camera and lens a bit.

Which may not mean anything. Just my way.
    Camera over shoulder, or neck and Hand under the lens.

I have not had any probs.

Prob unsupported alot.

4. Fabulous lens. I get my partner to carry mine !! Otherwise I carry it by the barrel of the lens.

BW. Bob F

5. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Being on the streets a lot with mine, I'm a little more worried about bumping objects or people with it. What I do is rest my left hand on my belly (actually mostly on my think tank belt, same effect) and put the lens in the bend of the left elbow with the body facing front (I'm right handed). I do this with the 70-200 vr as well. It's very comfortable, and leaves the cam very accessable.

I have a D2x, so I'm less worried about body integrity because of the magnesium body, but if it's on my d70, I would tend to support it more, because of the composite plastic body - I have no idea what the tolerance is with respect to the plastic body, but I'd tend to not want to stress it as much.

Steve

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dan,

Welcome the the Cafe!!

The answers that you've gotten so far are on-target. I wouldn't worry too much about carrying the cam with the lens attached, but since the D70 is a molded plastic body, I would support the lens when carrying the cam by its strap, or do as another poster said, and carry the whole thing by grabbing the base of the lens (even then, it's a good idea to keep a strap around your neck, attached to one or the other).

Now show us some pics with your new bazooka. :biggrin:

7. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    Thanks and a story

Went to San Francisco this last weekend before I saw posts and just winged it and supported like the consensus seems to be.

The lens worked great, first workout. A story - went on whale watching trip. Seas had 5 foot wind swells so the boat was rockin' and rollin'. It was totally clouded over so the ocean and the sky almost looked the same. The lens was able to auto focus on a leatherback turtle about 50 yards fron the boat as well as whales and sea lions. The VR works even in rolling seas, handheld. Fabulous technology and the autofocus was better than expected after reading all the comments.

Dan