80-400 VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Micah, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Micah

Micah

May 8, 2005
    This came from an email list that I'm on....any comments? Anyone have one of these lenses?

FW:80-400 VR Nikon

"You shouldn't use this lens on a tripod for long
    exposures with the VR
    turned on. The built in gyroscope wants to keep
    moving one of the elements
    casuing soft focusing."

Would love to hear any input, not that I'm looking to get one of these lenses, just curious!

Thanks
    Mary

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That is what I have heard regarding all VR lenses. I have not seen it in practice with my 'baby' VR (the 24-120) as I always 'forget' to turn off the VR.

3. This is from the Nikon Knowledge Database :
    "The Vibration Reduction technology built in to some Nikon lenses and cameras can reduce or eliminate vibration or movement in the camera during shooting. When the camera is on a tripod there will be very little (if any) movement so the question arises if VR should be used or not.

With the following lenses/cameras VR should be "Off" when the camera is mounted on a tripod:

* AF-S VR 24-120mm f3.5-5.6G
    * AF-S VR 70-200mm f2.8G
    * AF-S VR 80-400mm f4.5-5.6
    * Coolpix 8800

With the following lenses VR can be "On" when the camera is mounted on a tripod:

* AF-S VR 200-400mm f4

For all lenses VR should be "On" when the camera/lens is used on a monopod. "

Anyone knows why the 200-400mm behaves differently?

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Of the lenses in your list the 200-400 is the newest, maybe they've made some improvements to VR such that it can detect when the lens is mounted and "settles down" so that the problem the other lenses have doesn't exist. Just a WAG.

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I have the 200-400VR and it's my understanding that it's the latest version of the VR and the first one that can be used on a tripod. But it should not be locked down...

So I use it on the Wimberley and it works fine on a tripod.. It knows it's on a tripod and the former versions of the VR lenses couldn't work if on a tripod unless VR turned off.

THis is all I know about this--or think I know :lol:

Best to you,

Gaye