80 MegaPixel - Schoenbrunn castle / Vienna-Austria

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyE, Jun 27, 2007.

1. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    In testing some of my relatively new AiS lenses, I started to take pictures of a castle close to the place where I live.

Eventually I took so many pics that I could stitch them together. While taking the pics is comparatively easy, postprocessing of a 1 GPixel Pic is a nightmare. Files according to the JPEG spec can't store more than 65.535 pixel in one dimension, TIFF files can't be larger than 4 GB, etc, etc ....
    In a nutshell, I am still working to get my first 1GPixel pic done.

Anyway, I thought you might be interested to take a look at a working copy of a stitched image (58 pics). Taken with the D2X and AiS 400mm/3.5. Due to the limitations of the software I used (PTGUI and CNX) it's only 20.000 x 4.000 pixel - kind of large scale thumbnail with 18 MByte. :smile:

Save the JPEG first to your local harddisk (Right mouse click and "save as ..." for Windows users) 18MB Thumbnail JPEG image

Enjoy,
    Andy

Schoenbrunn Castle, Vienna, Austria - stitched with PTGui, original will be 1,3 GPixel
    original.

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow. Fantastic. I was there about twenty years ago and it was like being brought back. Guess I need a bigger monitor for that shot.

3. Very cool, Andy. Terrific amount of detail. That is a fine lens!

4. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Dave, thank you for the kind comments.

As said, this is a significantly scaled down version. The original is 80.000 x 16.000 pixel. Still looking for a fileformat to be ableto store it :smile:

Andy

5. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Hi Torben,
    happy to provide you a trigger to some old memories.

All the best,
    Andy

6. joepilot

joepilot

Mar 21, 2007
    Richmond Va.
    Andy that is one BIG picture and sharp Nice job !!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great work

8. This is GREAT. I had the pleasure of going there once so particularly interesting to me.

9. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    That is a labor of love. Nicely done.

DAB

10. Wonderful. Was there once. Loved their zoo too.

11. WOW! Cool Andy. I downloaded the big one and spread it across dual wide-screen monitors and it rocks!

12. It's been a long time since I was there, but..... what a picture!!!

13. Well, what a task! Couldn't do such a thing before getting a new computer :smile:

I saw your twisted and curled version on pbase a while ago. Seems that PTGui had problems in acquiring the control points because of the similarity of the individual images. The same happened to me once with a 360° pano, half of which was a theater audience.

Cheers

14. Stunning!

With these given File limitations, I guess you're the right man to lead us to "boldly go where no one has gone before"

How about your second row of monitors? Already installed?

15. Great work and thanks for sharing! :)